Pulling Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
OK let me know what your experiences and opinions are on pulling calves before AI. I have a cow I have either not been able to catch in heat or has not cycled since calving. I have set her up to AI using the 7 day CIDR protocol. I was thinking of separating her from her calf when I pull the CIDR.

midtncattle":3077nn7t said:
OK let me know what your experiences and opinions are on pulling calves before AI. I have a cow I have either not been able to catch in heat or has not cycled since calving. I have set her up to AI using the 7 day CIDR protocol. I was thinking of separating her from her calf when I pull the CIDR.

How long ago did she calve?

.)" If holding off calves to enhance fertility is considered then it should be for at least 48 hours. This has improved fertility from between 3 and 10%. In the newer systems that include a CIDR the magnitude of improvement is not as great as other non-CIDR based systems. However, the drawback of this temporary removal also affects subsequent calf performance. To reduce or eliminate these negative effects of calf removal on calf performance then calves should be creep fed for at least 30 days prior to AI and calves should receive clean water and feed during the 48 hour calf removal interval."

The instructer I had highly recommended it.

Are you sure she is not bred already? That is an awful long time from her last calving! Most cycle by 60 days post calving. I am not sure pulling her calf at this late in the game will help, that protocol was set up for cows not cycling with younger calves because production is so high in milk it tends to suppress the cycle.
I would start off the cheapest route and give her a shot of Estrumate and watch her for 72 hours real closely and have a tail chalk or patch on her.

I,don't know how it works with AI but I pull my calves when I work cows and I've seen them start bulling by the next evening before I turn the calves out .

Latest posts