Pulled the first one yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

lynnmcmahan

Reaction score
New milestone for an old new cowboy. As usual it all happens at once. Had to make an unexpected trip to move some calves at three PM. As I arrived at the catch pen our last heifer was in labor. Tips of toes hanging out. As my son Lance arrived it was up to the knees and 45 minutes later. Heifer was pushing hard but not hard enough. Since daylight was running out and we could see his nose we decided to give a pull and help mama out a bit. I was suprised how slippery his leg were and how hard we had to pull. After a five minute struggle he was out and another one of God's mircles took a breath of fresh air. I just love being a cowboy ;-)
Lynn

lynnmcmahan":x285p0ox said:
New milestone for an old new cowboy. As usual it all happens at once. Had to make an unexpected trip to move some calves at three PM. As I arrived at the catch pen our last heifer was in labor. Tips of toes hanging out. As my son Lance arrived it was up to the knees and 45 minutes later. Heifer was pushing hard but not hard enough. Since daylight was running out and we could see his nose we decided to give a pull and help mama out a bit. I was suprised how slippery his leg were and how hard we had to pull. After a five minute struggle he was out and another one of God's mircles took a breath of fresh air. I just love being a cowboy ;-)
Lynn

Best way to become a better cowboy is if you don't have OB chains handy everywhere-- have lots of baler twine laying around...Over the years- I'll bet the old cowboys pulled more calves with a chunk of twine than anything else.... ;-)

A apir of jersey gloves works great for those slickery legs if you aren;t going to use chains

Latest posts