Public School used to be so simple.

Help Support CattleToday:

I would pay for private school in a heart beat here if I had the option. We have a great home school program but my sons mom was not interested. Basically, I would do any thing but public school. Public school has become a political stage with no accountability.
My wife taught in private schools for 9 years. Some of those schools are better than others, lots of factors behind the scenes. The curriculum can vary quite a bit as well as how much the teachers are allowed to expect out of the students. Depending on where the priorities of the schools leadership are, be it in providing the best education possible, or catering to entitled parents of entitled children who deserve great grades. The reality is that most private schools pay the teachers 1/3 to 1/2 of what public school teachers make, and they don't have benefits of retirements or health insurance. Decades ago during the early 80's I attended a Catholic church run elementary school. It was a great school as far as the education I received and I'm thankful for that good start. Not all private schools are what they should be and many of the faults of man that plague society as whole are found in them too.

The reality is that most private schools pay the teachers 1/3 to 1/2 of what public school teachers make, and they don't have benefits of retirements or health insurance.
Curious why a teacher would work for 1/2 the pay and no benefits.

Curious why a teacher would work for 1/2 the pay and no benefits.
As far as the church run schools many view it as a ministry. My wife went to a Christian college that geared the students towards various ministries. She was hired right out of college in OK, to go teach at a church school in Cleveland OH. She barely made enough money to pay her rent and eat, and that was with her working as a janitor after school hours at the church too.

Very Republican for your state. Is that fairly new?
I have no idea when it started. I became aware of it more than a decade ago. It's got mostly bipartisan support. Conservatives get freedom of choice, and liberals get better opportunity for integration.

Well not to fear Buck, help is on the way to unravel the policy.

It's not really unraveling the policy, it's an attempt to try to preserve the working of the policy as originally intended. One side effect of open enrollment has been that kids from some of the rougher neighborhoods were able to start showing up at schools in the wealthy suburbs. Of course, some of the natives of those wealthy school districts were unhappy about "those people" enrolling in their schools, so they came up with a new way to segregate: "public" charter schools, with interviews and subjective admissions. There's nothing inherently discriminatory about forming a school for "gifted" kids, but it is awfully convenient how the son of the guy who owns the bank is always deemed "gifted" while the son of the third shift hotel cleaner is not.

This move is an attempt to pinch those charter schools. It's ham fisted and I'm not sure it's going to have the intended effect, but I appreciate the thought, I guess. Public schools should be for everyone.

I for abolishing school taxes.
You should have to educate your child or pay for it.
I agree but it will never happen. They know if the American people had to stroke a pen for that service they would demand accountability for what their money is being spent on.

Same philosophy as taking taxes out of your paycheck automatically. If every one had to cut a check quarterly there would be major tax reform.

Do you have open enrollment in Texas? Parents in Wisconsin can enroll their kid in any public school they choose, regardless of their home address.
It's the same here in Arkansas, a child can attend any public school they choose. In our area the public schools are highly competitive trying to offer more to the child to keep their enrollment up, it's a good deal really, it places more accountability on the schools.

If I'm not mistaken, in Illinois you can attend your choice of school in district. We have two grade schools in ours, one high school. Many just have one.
I'll send my kids to public here. We have good teachers for the most part, a few diehard libs, but mostly normal folks. Also, I believe it's my job to teach my kids basic principles. Public school is the place for them to learn to use them. I don't want them to go to school where everyone agrees with them. Let them learn to be stand up for what they believe in.

Is public education failing? That's probably a yes.

Should tax payers fund public education? Also a yes.

We have enough problems. Do we really want an uneducated future workforce?

We started homeschooling using Classical Conversation and other resources a few years ago. Best decision we ever made. One example, my 10 year old knows more about the English language than most high school graduates. We shouldn't give our kids over to the state and rely on them for education. It's our job as parents to educate our children.

Latest posts