PTO driven Generator

Help Support CattleToday:

john s

Reaction score
Anyone use a PTO driven generator? After this last Ice storm I have decided to get one I figure a 7000 watt would do what i need any suggestions would be appreciated thanks in advance :tiphat:

john s":38ecet9p said:
Anyone use a PTO driven generator? After this last Ice storm I have decided to get one I figure a 7000 watt would do what i need any suggestions would be appreciated thanks in advance :tiphat:

Got rid of mine for a 7500 diesel stand alone.
Didn't like to tie the tractor up as well as the generator only eats about six gallons a day.
Tractor ate way more than that. I bought a Titan 7500 used it for 14 days to run the house after Rita and about a week after Ike.
Walk by and crank it up about once a month runs like a champ. It is also nice to haul out to the job on the place.
I might have just got lucky been a good one so far.

The make a pto generator that has a governor on it that will greatly reduce fuel consumption....After many hurricanes here lately I have fixed up a section of my home that I can shut off and can cool with a small window unit , got lights tv, cool air air and enough juice to take care of the freezer and ice box if I don't run em at the same time. Its a little 4500 watt Honda that will run for 12 hrs with a full load.......As CB said you can go through a lot of fuel doing this

The main difference is the convenience of having a stand a lone and leaving the tractor free for other uses.

Caustic Burno":qzev5bt3 said:
john s":qzev5bt3 said:

Got rid of mine for a 7500 diesel stand alone.
Didn't like to tie the tractor up as well as the generator only eats about six gallons a day.
Tractor ate way more than that. I bought a Titan 7500 used it for 14 days to run the house after Rita and about a week after Ike.
Walk by and crank it up about once a month runs like a champ. It is also nice to haul out to the job on the place.
I might have just got lucky been a good one so far.
Diesel stand alone is what my son in law has and did a great job and wasn't too bad on fuel either. Was nice to have a nice warm house to sleep in. Still was glad to have power restored 9:00 Christmas morning.

john s":1il6zwr3 said:

If you are going PTO driven, might as well get a big one

7000 watts might sound big but my portable in the shop is bigger and uses very little fuel.

I can say this for sure - if you want to run a fridge and stove and hot water tank and pump water and maybe run a few heaters 7000 will NOT be big enough.

There is a used 15KW pto genny on ebay right now for 1800 - and I know they can be had cheaper if you look around.

Northstar has 13KW gennies for sale for about 1500 bucks

Do not know your budget but you can get standalones for a pretty good price that are larger than 7KW

It is my personal belief that you can never have too much power when the lights go out.

Just some food for thought

Either way - no matter what you do - when the lights go off you will be happy to have one - even a small one.

So grab one (portable or pto) it really is your choice - get as big a one as you can afford because it is a pain when you are out of commercial power and your own system does not "quite do the job" and be sure that (a) you know how to make it work, (b) you know it DOES work, and (c) be sure you know how to pull the power at the pole so you do not send your home generated power down the line to where the boys are working - they really will not like you if you do! LOL

When trouble comes your house will be the one people will come to.

Cheers

Bez

Do PTO generators have good safe guards to ensure you are spinning them at the correct speed to produce the correct frequency current? I would imagine it would be pretty easy to blow equiptment if you were running too slow or too fast.
Ken

wbvs58":28xfch16 said:
Do PTO generators have good safe guards to ensure you are spinning them at the correct speed to produce the correct frequency current? I would imagine it would be pretty easy to blow equiptment if you were running too slow or too fast.
Ken
The ones I have seen have a meter on them that shows what they are producing.

Our standalone will run everything but the hot water heater. Pump, frig, well, computer, freezer, TV, central Air, even (as I found out when my wife got back) the micro wave to heat water and all the lights you would ever need, house and shop. If you never lose power for more then an hour or so they're kind of a waste of money unless you need AC somewhere in the boonies with no power available. But if you lose power for a day (or 10 like we did) it's darn near worth it's weight in gold.