proud cut

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i went and looked at a horse today and was told he was proud cut.
they said he jumped thru the stall feed window to get to a mare in season and was boogered up some and they want to sell him cheap.
he is a 5 year old that came off a ranch and was told he was a good using horse.
i get there and no one is around so there is a halter tied on the fence where they have him penned.
i get the halter and he comes right up and sticks his head in and i rub all over him and he is calm as can be.
so i hop on him bareback and thats where things go south.
i'm old and fat so i'm having trouble getting my leg over and he's trying to bite me.
i slid back down and he has his ears penned back and acts like he still wants to bite and pawing some.
there was some other horses across the fence they came over when he was acting up and he really bagan to act like a stud.
the lady that sellling him said he's gentle most times but at times he acts like a stud and she couldn't do anything with him.
she said she has to keep him seperate from the other horses because he picks on the geldings and tries to mount the mares.
when those horses came over to the fence he couldn't be handled.
he had no repect for me what so ever
i figured i could teach him some manners but the more i worked with him the worse he got.
i don't know if he has any hope or not.

cross_7":1fqlw3aw said:
i went and looked at a horse today and was told he was proud cut.
they said he jumped thru the stall feed window to get to a mare in season and was boogered up some and they want to sell him cheap.
he is a 5 year old that came off a ranch and was told he was a good using horse.
i get there and no one is around so there is a halter tied on the fence where they have him penned.
i get the halter and he comes right up and sticks his head in and i rub all over him and he is calm as can be.
so i hop on him bareback and thats where things go south.
i'm old and fat so i'm having trouble getting my leg over and he's trying to bite me.
i slid back down and he has his ears penned back and acts like he still wants to bite and pawing some.
there was some other horses across the fence they came over when he was acting up and he really bagan to act like a stud.
the lady that sellling him said he's gentle most times but at times he acts like a stud and she couldn't do anything with him.
she said she has to keep him seperate from the other horses because he picks on the geldings and tries to mount the mares.
when those horses came over to the fence he couldn't be handled.
he had no repect for me what so ever
i figured i could teach him some manners but the more i worked with him the worse he got.
i don't know if he has any hope or not.

Sounds like he already showed you. Could be one of those deals where a "cheap" horse cost you plenty. Maybe your life.

There's a vet out here that is really well respected among the big money horse crowd that says if they're young enough they can be fixed but I don't know what he considers young enough. I'd kind of tend to think it would cost more than he's worth but I could be wrong.
You just need to buy more cattle and give him wet saddle blankets seven days a week. :lol:
For what it's worth I've been around plenty of studs that didn't act like that... No reason to put up with it from a gelding. With a disposition like that he may be hard to be around even if you get him fixed.

i just don't think he is thinking with the correct part of his brain.
the window he jumped thru doesn't look like he could fit thru it and i guess he didn't cause he missing some hide because of it.
she said when she saw him out and went to catch him he jumped 2 more pipe fences.
she said he is super athletic.
i'm thinking he would make one heck of a cow horse and thats the only reason he is still on my mind,
but i just don't think he will ever get his mind right.

Sounds to me like his mind wasn't right to begin with.... I've seen and been around whole studs that act a heckuva lot better than that. Had a proud cut gelding many years ago. Was quiet and easy when I bought him, got nasty around 4 or 5 years old. Took him to a vet and they did some surgery on him. Guy that had cut him and taken the testicle that was down and just LEFT the other. Cost me $1500 to fix that problem but he DID come around after that. And that was almost 30 years ago.... I think you can find better for cheaper (in the long run) and you don't have to worry about him killing you or someone else.

i've never dealt with a proud cut horse before and i first thought was he just needs someone to straighten him out, but after seeing the window he jumped thru and jumping 2 more fences then his aggressive behavior towards me i'm not so sure he can be taught.
i thought maybe milkmaid was off for spring break and she could enlighten me on the his behavior, testosterone and etc.

A proud cut horse will not act like a normal stallion. They are worst. To me it really sounds like his brain is not wired right.
A veterinarian can do a blood test to determine if he is proud cut (has a hormone problem) and whether or not something can be done to fix him.

Personally I would pass. You know it isn't right in the head and you have a family. Your well being is more important than a horse that "might" make a good cow horse.

I had a proud cut horse(bought him as a long yearling) and didn't even know it for YEARS.
He was the only horse around for miles.
I got in a mare and found out real quick that he was proud cut.

Proud cut or "ridgling" horses I have always been told act worse than studs because a stud can drop his testicles in heat where a proud cut or ridgling it is inside them and they are producing testosterone at a high level every day all day. That is what I was always told anyway. Take it for what it cost you. Stick some Vicks vapor rub up each nostril and then see how he acts. I have hauled many studs together that I put together as a load and by putting vicks in their noses, they stand together like old buddies. It will remove his mind from the fight and let you see if he knows anything.

You might fix him but could you ever fully trust him? IMHO a good mind is the #1 criteria for a good cow horse. Doesn't really matter how athletic they are. It just makes it easier for them to hurt you.

fatcattle":3kxc3xsl said:
You might fix him but could you ever fully trust him? IMHO a good mind is the #1 criteria for a good cow horse. Doesn't really matter how athletic they are. It just makes it easier for them to hurt you.

i didn't buy him, but he was as quick and agile as i've ever seen.
he was about 14.2 or 3 and moved like a cat and thick enough to handle anything you roped.
they said he came off a ranch somewhere(they were getting his paper from the ranch) and i'd bet you couldn't have got him bought if he wasn't obstinate.

What I know about horses wouldn't fill a thimble but why couldn't you go back in and remove the other seed and make something useful out of him??

TexasBred":2evnjj0m said:
What I know about horses wouldn't fill a thimble but why couldn't you go back in and remove the other seed and make something useful out of him??

i've heard you could and you couldn't.
i really wanted to hear from milkmaid on this

cross_7":22g3z5fk said:
TexasBred":22g3z5fk said:

i've heard you could and you couldn't.
i really wanted to hear from milkmaid on this
cross_7 and TB, I won't belabor this point, but I think many of those on here that deal with horses or have good prior experience have given good advice. There is more wrong with that gelding/quasi-gelding than a surgery could fix. An extremely experienced horseman, willing to take risks, might be willing to mess with him. He's a bad wreck waiting to happen -- not an "accident" waiting to happen, because all the warning bells and whistles have already sounded. Unfortunately. :frowns:

I'm still trying to get passed "went to look at the horse for the first time, no one around so I threw a halter on him and jumped on bareback". :shock: My understanding about proud cut is, proud cut is leaving a portion of the testicle when gelded. Horse testicles have a "cap" like attachment, leaving part of the "cap". A retained testicle is just that a monorchid (sp), nothing has been cut.

Alan

Alan":engxqop4 said:
I'm still trying to get passed "went to look at the horse for the first time, no one around so I threw a halter on him and jumped on bareback". :shock: My understanding about proud cut is, proud cut is leaving a portion of the testicle when gelded. Horse testicles have a "cap" like attachment, leaving part of the "cap". A retained testicle is just that a monorchid (sp), nothing has been cut.

Alan
Alan, I never would have jumped on that not-known-to-me horse with just a halter and w/out an owner around either! You're sort of right about the rest of it. Could have been monorchid (most likely), or just a bad cut job.