protein

Help Support CattleToday:

FlaAngus

Reaction score
I've got two charlie angus cross steers to show this year and i was wondering what the max protein % would be, i've fed 15% before and won weight gain but both of them have enormous growth potential.

Was wondering if 18% would be ok or if they would founder?

Given that these steers are over 600 pounds. Any protein above 12% of the total ration is a waste of money. The extra protein just hits the ground behind the steer. Protein is generally given too much credit and other factors not looked at enough. Consider TDN and energy in calculating the ration.

Dave":1v577co6 said:
Given that these steers are over 600 pounds. Any protein above 12% of the total ration is a waste of money. The extra protein just hits the ground behind the steer. Protein is generally given too much credit and other factors not looked at enough. Consider TDN and energy in calculating the ration.

I may be wrong on this. I think the 12% is generally true. The rest of the protein can be used to balance out low quality hay or grass. Anything over 12% of the total TDN is a waste.
So I think "total ration" are your key words here.

Dave and Novatech

You guys need to post that info more often.

I see and hear so much about folks pumping up the protein - and it all goes out on the ground. No matter how good your animal is, the body simply cannot absorb what is fed.

I will go out and say this as well:

We feed hay at 7% in the fall, around 9% through the winter and 11 - 12% in the spring. Anything more is a waste of money. Our animals have been pictured on this site and you can see they are not thin at all.

I see more people spending money on expensive high powered feed on these boards than I can shake a stick at. Feed folks love them.

I know show folks like to do it different - I am very fortunate to be out of that racket now - but max protein is always going to be max protein.

Total feed ration - and pehaps a half teaspoon of Kelated minerals - has been and always will be the secret.

It is almost like the question - "How do I grow hair?"

The answer is - You cannot! Otherwise bald men would also grow hair - hmmm .... when you find that solution please call me! 8)

It is genetics, genetics, genetics.

Working with what you have will mean deciding on a total feed and hoping like heck you have good genetics - otherwise you can throw a bucket of money down the drain and still end up with a crappy animal.

Regards

Bez>

FlaAngus":2aodnfnm said:
I've got two charlie angus cross steers to show this year and i was wondering what the max protein % would be, i've fed 15% before and won weight gain but both of them have enormous growth potential.

Was wondering if 18% would be ok or if they would founder?

Protein doesn't cause founder. It's the carbohydrates.

As they get older ease back on the protein and add more digestible fiber.

A good quality hay feed free choice will eliminate a lot of "gut" problems such as founder, bloat, and rumenitis.

Dave":1wam7f6x said:

Excess protein is sometimes used as an energy source in cattle.

Here I go showing my ignorance again. I have heard and seen the term Kelated minerals.
But could somebody tell what it is?

Not much luck with google on this.

novatech":3h1i6d48 said:
Here I go showing my ignorance again. I have heard and seen the term Kelated minerals.

Novatech

Try Googling "chelated minerals"

This should get some hits.

Texas PaPaw":89haa25c said:
novatech":89haa25c said:

Novatech

Awww ... you caught me - I never could spell!

8)

Bez>

Bez>":bc61n2yz said:
The answer is - You cannot! Otherwise bald men would also grow hair - hmmm .... when you find that solution please call me! 8)
There is a solution but probably you are too old... It's castration. It's the only remedy that had been proven to be effective but just a few men took that solution. If you try it let us know... :lol: :roll: :shock: but best result at 16 years old.

Texas PaPaw":131ysbjx said:
novatech":131ysbjx said:

Novatech

Well that worked a little better.

Here is a site I pulled up that may help others. I liked it because it is short.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... ll/hrs3185

Bez as far as spelling goes, I certainly cannot throw stones.

I can echo the "to much protien is a waste" statement. I am weaning my bulls Thurs. and most of our hay runs around 13-15% tprot. My question is what should the tdn and rfv be for letting bulls reach their full genetic potential. I plan on feeding ground ear corn because we have a surplus and the varmints are eating it up. Any suggetions are welcomed.

One bull is currently at 4.07 wda with a month of creep, the rest are in the 3's and I really don't want them to slack up.

Sizmic

cowboyup216":bhpefu31 said:
Pardon my ignorance whats a charlie angus? You mean Charolais Angus cross?

Maybe the sire's name was Charlie and the dams are Angus.Who pee'd in your cornflakes CBUP?My you sure are giving a side serving of sarcasm today ;-).

Latest posts