Protein Tub Vs. Hand Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
What are yalls views on each, or if anybody has any facts about the comparison. What are the advantages of a protein tub Vs. hand feeding cubes or whatever sach feed you choose to. Does one help maintain body condition or re-condition better than the other. Also would like to know the economical advantages of one over the other if anybody has a opinion on that....

I dont have the figures with me at the moment, but in this months Progressive Farmer mag, it gives the breakdown of costs for each feeding method. It listed liquid protein at the top as far as cost was concerned, I do remember that.
I still use both cubes and liquid protein, but mostly the liquid stuff in the winter.

Well the protein tub as I figure it is about 3 times more costly. The highest protein content I can find in my area is the Crystellex 40% tub for a little over $80 for 250 lbs. That is $.32/lb and consumption is suppossed to be 1 -1.5 lbs. per day. So you can get about an extra 1/2 lb. of protein a day. That is ok if you are on some poor winter pasture or some lower protein hay with dry cows but your cost per pound of protein is going to be about $.70/lb. But it is a lot more expensive then feeding Soybean meal or roasted beans which are real common in my area. Those last winter ran from $.11-$.13/lb. The meal usually is around 48% protein and the roasted beans I think were under 40% but real high in energy which meant I did not need to feed corn for the energy, so it is much cheaper, just a lot more labor. I use the tubs in the summer if I need to out on pasture, the cows look great on them, plus the tubs have all the minerals in them which is conveinient. But in the winter if I am selling all of my real good hay and am feeding poor hay to the cows, a couple pounds of soybeans is still way cheaper and provides way more protein and energy then a couple pounds of tub and is still way cheaper.

money for money youd be better off feeding grain insted of protine tubs.most cows will just stay at the tubs till their gone.an yes it says they consume 1.5 to 2lbs a day.but ive found they do double or triple consumption.you can save alot of money by graining them insted of putting out protine tubs.

As long as I had a supply of forage, I would not feed any type of grain to cows. That would be replacing the energy you have available in the grass. Protein feeding (liquid is a very good buy for protein, maybe the best, depending upon your conditions) will make them more effective at utilizing the forage. It's a supplement strategy, rather than a replacement strategy as grain would be.

bigbull338":xaaovjuv said:
money for money youd be better off feeding grain insted of protine tubs.most cows will just stay at the tubs till their gone.an yes it says they consume 1.5 to 2lbs a day.but ive found they do double or triple consumption.you can save alot of money by graining them insted of putting out protine tubs.

This is very true and same with horses. I set mineral tubs out for the horses and my Thoroughbred looked like a 2yr old eating chocolate pudding... she had so much molasses all over her face it was funny (but aggrivating too...all that money down the tubes so quick).

rk":93j00gs0 said:
As long as I had a supply of forage, I would not feed any type of grain to cows. That would be replacing the energy you have available in the grass. Protein feeding (liquid is a very good buy for protein, maybe the best, depending upon your conditions) will make them more effective at utilizing the forage. It's a supplement strategy, rather than a replacement strategy as grain would be.

That all sounds real simple and can sound like it makes sense but that is avoiding some nutritional facts about providing supplemental energy in order to make the protein more usable in a lot of forages and the fact that energy deficiencies are real common in forages as well as protein also. So that is wrong to state that feeding supplemental grain is a replacement for forage.

hayray":chuyvi16 said:
rk":chuyvi16 said:

That all sounds real simple and can sound like it makes sense but that is avoiding some nutritional facts about providing supplemental energy in order to make the protein more usable in a lot of forages and the fact that energy deficiencies are real common in forages as well as protein also. So that is wrong to state that feeding supplemental grain is a replacement for forage.
I stated that as long as I had a supply of forage, I would not feed grain to cows. If you have forage, protein is by far a better strategy than grain feeding. If you have cows that require grain feeding when there is a supply of forage and a source of protein, you need different cows.

Don,t feed either unless they need it. How do you know? Condition of the cattle and fecal observation.
At one time I kept a protein tub out 24/7. Dun streightend me out on that. Since that time I have not seen any reason to suplement at all, except mineral. Just high quality forage or hay.
The cows are healthy and calve regularly.

First of all I prefer just feeding good hay with no supplement. However, if the available forage is not meeting the cow's nutrient requirements I feed grain. The tubs cost about $80 or more for a 250 pound tub. At 8 tubs per ton that is $640 a ton. I recently bought some "dairy 16" for $280 a ton. I can feed over twice as much grain for the same price and dairy grain is not cheap grain. The tubs just plain cost too much.
The higher protein tubs use non protein nitrogen (NPN) to get the protein level up. That is generally in the form of urea. Cattle on a high roughage diet do not convert that NPN to protein nearly as well as those on a high energy diet. So feeding NPN to a cow eating lower quality forage is just passing lots of nitrogen out the back of the cow and not doing the cow a lot of good.
Another point is that although the tubs do have minerals in them, they are at low levels. I had a tub salesman tell me that even if you do have tubs out you still need to feed minerals. The tubs are not designed to meet mineral requirements.

The tubs such as Crystellex are not meant to be a addiquite source of protein. The idea of the lick tubs is a convenient way
to give cattle a steady flow of vitamins and mineral. Even at 40% a cow will consume a pound or two a day not enough if she is on poor forage, some supplemental protein might be necessary,

mnmtranching":5oe94psr said:
The tubs such as Crystellex are not meant to be a addiquite source of protein. The idea of the lick tubs is a convenient way
to give cattle a steady flow of vitamins and mineral. Even at 40% a cow will consume a pound or two a day not enough if she is on poor forage, some supplemental protein might be necessary,
Is this the Crystellex that comes in several formulas? Where is it made and by whom? I am asking because I have been trying to find a product that I was being told about but I thought she said Crystal X and it has a stress formula???

CKC1586":2wfrvun3 said:
mnmtranching":2wfrvun3 said:
Is this the Crystellex that comes in several formulas? Where is it made and by whom? I am asking because I have been trying to find a product that I was being told about but I thought she said Crystal X and it has a stress formula???

I think most of these lick tubs are regional, like Land O Lakes is probably the main one around here. But we have several others available. Some are all natural, some with urea, some have only 15% protein and on up to 40%. I think their for the most part good products. It is cheaper to buy the mineral, vitamins, and protein and mix it your self and feed it free choice. It's not a big savings and the 250 pounds tubs are convenient and no waste.

CKC1586":3gzrmqcv said:
mnmtranching":3gzrmqcv said:

Yes, Crystal X comes in several different formulations. Try this link.

http://www.crystalyx.com/producer/testi ... .cfm?ID=15

msscamp":159ftq9m said:
CKC1586":159ftq9m said:
mnmtranching":159ftq9m said:

http://www.crystalyx.com/producer/testi ... .cfm?ID=15[/quote

Thank you very much!!!

There are two different types of tubs.
1. Poured
2. Baked

Poured tubs are great for adding body score to skinny cows. That's about it. They release about 2 to 2.5 pounds per day. They should retail for around $43 to $55 dollars depending on brand and all natural or urea based.

Baked tubs are the ones that are more expensive and release 1 to 2 pounds per day. They are good for cows grazing on milo or corn stalks. Is there a cheaper feed for cows on stalks with protein tub with them? One tub at $75 per 20 cows is cheap and easy.
I would elaborate more but had too much Crown tonight.

CKC1586":3hyg3dsg said:
msscamp":3hyg3dsg said:
CKC1586":3hyg3dsg said:
mnmtranching":3hyg3dsg said:

http://www.crystalyx.com/producer/testi ... .cfm?ID=15[/quote

Thank you very much!!!

You're welcome! :)

Latest posts