Proof ya cant fix stupid!

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I was disking with a 4640 JD and a 12 ft disk saw a chunk of wood caught up between a couple disk blades.
I stopped and put the tractor in netural and just as I hit the ground it popped back into gear.This tractor has dual wheels on the rear.
The outer dual hit me in the shoulder and knocked me down and I luckley rolled away from the tractor and disk.
I have made myself a promise that I will NEVER get out of a tractor again without setting parking brake.
He(( yes I was skeerd.

You a lucky dawg for sure--could be you in that disk along with the chunk of wood.

How far did the tractor run before ya got it stopped?

greybeard":37tix1qn said:
You a lucky dawg for sure--could be you in that disk along with the chunk of wood.

How far did the tractor run before ya got it stopped?

Yep I was lucky for sure GB.
The tractor went about 50 yrds an found a huge white oak and was just setting there with the rear duals digging a hole.
I let it dig for a while building up enough courage to get around those
big ol tires again.

Cal

After having a ford 5000 with a nh square baler with a almost full hay wagon roll back on my cousins ankle and hearing his scream as it parked on his ankle has made me forever stop the tractor put in park or leave in gear and put brake on. He was doing something to the baler when it rolled back.

I worked at a place where I routinely unloaded full bundles of 3/4 or bigger 4x8 and 5x8 mdf with a propane powered solid tire forklift. Got one off the truck one day, started up the ramp into the plant with it, and it ran out of propane about 1/2 way up. I let the forks and bundle down on the cement ramp, got off and started unbuckling the propane tank, and the dang thing rolled back, and stopped right on my foot with that big rubber tire. I couldn't move, was too close to the forklift to reach down and untie my boot-all I could do was yell for the truck driver to come over. He came over, I pointed down and he about lost it right there, went running inside, and half the plant came out to try to figure out what to do. I just said "I'm wearing steel toes--just go fill the bottle, start the thing and drive it off my foot". Didn't even leave a bruise.

That's ok Cal...I did a complete 360 flip over a hay spear the other day just for the he77 of it I guess.. Just went brain dead and forgot it was there.

Glad you are ok.... Life is precious and can be taken from us in just an instant! EVERYBODY be careful out there!

Glad you're okay. ;-)
EVERYONE makes mistakes sooner or later. The lucky ones get to tell us all to be careful and they tend to not make that same particular mistake again. :lol:
I lost two fingers to a tractor and can honestly say that by my recollection of what happened I was being pretty careful on the day that it happened. I doubt I'd do anything differently if I was on the same piece of equipment today. Accidents happen.

I also know a guy who jumped off of a tractor with a scraper behind it to open a gate that was downhill from him. He left the scraper up, the tractor out of gear, and no parking brake... It met him about half-way to the gate and he lost consciousness when the top of the gate met with the underside of his chin. He had tire tracks over his shirt from both the front and back of the tractor and the scraper just kind of leveled of a few small spots that were sticking up. Once the tractor busted the gate open the jersey bull had free rein to come out and toss him around a little and did so.
For once... the courts ruled that he was an idiot and it was his own fault that he got hurt.

Latest posts