Promises kept

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Some of you may remember: In 2009 I had throat cancer. I was 39 when I found out. I'm catholic, with a 4 year old son at the time. The thought of leaving him without a dad wasn't a possibility. I made many promises to God; if he only helped me get through it. Well, after several months of treatment, I actually did beat it. It's been 10 years now. Ever since 2009 I've been working on keeping my promises. Dad always said when you give your word.....

One of the promises was that I would help other people with cancer. I've been through it. Sometimes you just want to lay in a fetal position and for everyone to leave you alone; sometimes someone to talk to helps. So now if I hear someone has cancer, I at least introduce myself, if I don't know them, and at least offer help. It's ok if someone doesn't want help or to talk about it. But if they do, I'm there. Every Wednesday I volunteer at Mary Bird Perkins, Baton Rouge's best cancer treatment hospital. Although I'm a manager by trade, when I volunteer I bring coffee and snacks to people awaiting treatment. Occasionally, 4 times to be exact, I've ran across people who had the same type of cancer I did. Radiation for throat cancer leaves your throat red like a sunburn, eventually turning an almost black. It's 7 weeks straight every weekday of radiation. I actually drove home crying one time after volunteering, because I overheard one of the throat cancer patients tell her friend: "You see that young man over there (she meant me); he had the same thing that I do, and if he can beat it, I can too". I had kept my promise to help.

My old buddy Caustic called me a few days backed and asked me to get back on the board. I realized that, in a weird way, I could keep going with helping people through the board. It seems everyone knows someone who has cancer, unfortunately.

So if anyone knows someone going through the cancer battle, please bring my name up to them. I'm no one special; if I can beat it, anyone can. If I can just help one person, it's 100% worth it. You can PM me, I'll give you my cell number. With today's technology, there's no reason why people can't facetime, skype, message or whatever, to talk about it. One of these days we'll hopefully be rid of this dreaded disease. Until then, it's important that we help each other through it.

Thank you!

Great testimony....doesn't seem possible it's been 10 years but that is what the calendar says. Hope the blessings of the Lord continue.

Lord wasn't through with you Cresent Wrench! I believe that stars are added to your crown of those who serve those in need. It used to tickle me as my 88 year old mom went about checking on the elderly. I told her Mom your older than everyone your checking on, her reply was I am in better shape to.

Caustic Burno said:
Lord wasn't through with you Cresent Wrench! I believe that stars are added to your crown of those who serve those in need. It used to tickle me as my 88 year old mom went about checking on the elderly. I told her Mom your older than everyone your checking on, her reply was I am in better shape to.

My grandmother was 99 years old and in a nursing home but everyday she said she had to help the nurses "with the old folks" lolol

GREAT TO HEAR....

my best friend and my riding buddy is just coming out of a battle with cancer...

docs think they have it on the run and he is getting better but the treatment darn near took him away from us.

We are planning to go riding again as soon as he is a little stronger...

Wow, great news that you beat cancer and have continued to inspire others. The Holy Spirit has guided you well. I'm Catholic, too, and I understand about serving others and how much prayer can help us through the worst of times.

I also had cancer in my neck, had to take 34 radiation treatments it wasn't fun, but I made it through. I'm Catholic also and made some of the same promises you did and I've tried to keep them. The biggest problem I had with the whole deal was 4 months after I finished treatments I cam down with Fungal Meningitis, that bout took this ole boy out, that's been 15 years ago, and I feel very blessed. I've said several times the reason I'm still here is the Good Lord don't want me and the Devil is afraid I'd take over.

While it's good to hear a bunch of us have an event in common, it's not good that we have cancer in common.

Rollinhills, f. meningitis must have been tough coming off of cancer! My first cousin's husband had the exact same cancer, same stage, as me. He lives in Tampa, but we went through the same treatment at the same time. Poor guy had to have a jaw bone replaced. The doctors used to tell me that radiation is the gift that keeps on giving. I still deal with side affects today, but side affects mean I'm here.

Thank you all for the kind words, but I'm not really any different than anyone else. Since I was lucky enough to beat it, I may as well help others do the same. Tomorrow morning will find me passing out snacks and coffee to patients awaiting treatments. It's for selfish reasons as well; there's no better feeling than to know you helped a person get through something as serious as cancer.

Thanks for sharing. I try to share my husband's bout with cancer. They are doing amazing things with treatment. Ken was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, that had matastiscized (sp?) to his skull in May 2012. By September, they did a Pet PC scan, and he was free of cancer. Through all his radiation and chemo, we continued to show at a reduced pace, but still on the road. He got pneumonia a few times and was tired a lot, but went to work every day possible. We went to a show 4.5 hours away. While there, he started having difficulty breathing - bad. Ended up dieing after 2 weeks in the hospital with blood clots in both lungs. Yes, I lost my Ken in the end, but he beat the cancer and so can lots of people if they have faith and fight it.
Glad you are with us.

Yes I know about the gift that keeps on giving, I'm in the middle of hypro-bearic oxygen treatments so I can get a tooth cut out, they don't want to take a chance on the jaw bone not healing. Also that meningitis was a bear, never had my head hurt so bad and sick in my life, thought I was pretty tough till that got hold of me, pretty humbling I'll tell ya but at least I'm still pumpin air thanks to GOD.

rollinhills said:
Yes I know about the gift that keeps on giving, I'm in the middle of hypro-bearic oxygen treatments so I can get a tooth cut out, they don't want to take a chance on the jaw bone not healing. Also that meningitis was a bear, never had my head hurt so bad and sick in my life, thought I was pretty tough till that got hold of me, pretty humbling I'll tell ya but at least I'm still pumpin air thanks to GOD.

Hang in there.

rollinhills said:

Thanks for sharing that. I will keep you in my thoughts.

rollinhills said:

Glad to hear you're fighting the fight. Not easy, I know. I remember thinking, "If it kills me, I'll go down fighting". By the way, this morning, while volunteering, I met a 5th patient with the exact same throat cancer as me. He finishes treatments next Thursday. They have a tradition at Mary Bird where they ring a bell and everyone applauds when a person finishes his/her treatments. They give small awards to the patient. It's an accomplishment. I'll be there Thursday morning to help show support.

Cypress it's really good to read your expressions again.

Thank you for coming back around.