First time I kept all my heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
This is the first time I've kept all my heifers. Gonna breed them all back and sale all of them as bred except the ones I would have kept anyway. Any thoughts? I figure it will pencil out right now. At least where I'm at.

I always consider retaining all my heifers. I am 100% AI and my heifers are almost always genetically superior to my older cows. With the selection of calving ease sires and a good diet our heifers almost always calve unassisted. In my area there is a better market for our cows bred to a good AI sire as the small farmers will ultimately keep the calf if it is a bull for their future herd sire.

I was planning the same thing until, This guy stopped by when I was down feeding them. I just weaned them. He gave me $7900.00 for in my opinion the best five I had. 2 at $1500.00 , 2 at $1600.00 1 at $1700.00. So :wave: LOL B&G

A local AI Brangus breeder friend keeps all of his heifers. He will only retain the very best as replacements and sell the rest as long bred.
I am in a cycle of keeping heifers and culling the same amount of calves. I do not cull the cows until the heifers have calved.

Last year a neighbor bought my best weaned heifers at a price I never would have imagined. Now that price is common place and low by comparison to some auction prices.

Y'all have way better stock than I do. I have some heifers that are going to the sale barn no matter what. I will only sell heifers that I'm proud of. Never seen a herd that I would keep all the heifers out of yet myself. But to each their own.

I have considered keeping the 'middle of the road' heifers, this year I had so few I had to keep them for myself as I only had 1 that looked really good

I only kept one heifer this time. I am going to sell her now. She is not growing off like I thought she would. Don't think I will keep any out of this next group, and most of them are heifers. It is easier for me to sell and then by bred heifers. I am tired of keeping them away from the bull until they are old enough to breed and having to wait nine months for a calf.

I only have registered cattle and do not keep bulls with them, so I will keep any heifers (that I now get) as replacements. I will sell them later if they do not grow out as planed, but the genetics that I have retained and AI'd to should give me some good heifers to keep for myself. But we'll see! Nothing is set in stone.
In the past, I have only kept my very best. But now I am collecting embryos and will need recips to put them in. So even if they are not top of the line, they might be able to raise a transfer calf well.

williamsv, I would have a hard time justifying spending over $10K to buy myself 3 replacements every year, and still be taking a gamble on them... I'd rather not have the $4000 I'd get from selling them as calves now, knowing their background and feeding them for a year. Don't get me wrong, I have a hard time waiting 9 months for a calf from them too, but it's because I am always eager to see how they do and if they live up to or exceed my expectations

I kept all my heifers... It was the cheapest way for me to get up in numbers... It really PAID off when I sold off most of my cattle.

I kept all my heifers... It was the cheapest way for me to get up in numbers... It really PAID off when I sold off most of my cattle.

skyhightree1":2fy6kxo6 said:

About twenty-five years ago I was doing the same thing for the same reason. They weren't bringing the prices they are now either.
These days I am more selective and may keep none, maybe 2 out of 10 if I need replacements, but usually no more 50% per season. That number will be reduced as they grow out.
This year all my spring calves were shipped. I expect to do the same with the fall calves. There may be the exception. Really depends on the market.

fitz

fitz":2jf4m0n5 said:
skyhightree1":2jf4m0n5 said:

About twenty-five years ago I was doing the same thing for the same reason. They weren't bringing the prices they are now either.
These days I am more selective and may keep none, maybe 2 out of 10 if I need replacements, but usually no more 50% per season. That number will be reduced as they grow out.
This year all my spring calves were shipped. I expect to do the same with the fall calves. There may be the exception. Really depends on the market.

fitz

Yea I am torn on whether to keep the ones I have now that will be ready to be sold in December or what. I may flip a coin and decide.

That is where I'm at. I am trying to build my herd and would like to keep some of the better end of them.

I will have to fix a more secure pasture/trap to keep them in and away from the bulls.

I have borrowed money I need to pay back as quick as I can.

If I can buy heifers heavy bred for 25-2800, I dont know if I can keep mine for two years and come out if the prices fall.

What to do...

If you owe money thats a game changer. I didnt own anyone anything and it wasnt taking from my real income nor costing me much out of it. I had time to wait watch them grow so I did.

I know a guy in Montana who runs about 400 pairs. He keeps all his heifers. Breeds them and in the early fall he ultra sounds them. He retains the earliest calving ones who will have bull calves. The rest he sells, it has been working for him for years.

I knew another guy in Washington who would calf out all his heifers (several 100). Once the calves hit about 300 pounds he would decide which heifers he wanted to keep. The rest would get the calves pulled and the heifers sent to a feedlot. It use to work for him. With the 30 month of age cut off I don't know if this would still work because those critters would be pushing that 30 months of age.

There is certainly more than one way to market your cattle and the more you think outside the box the better you will probably do.

Can you afford to Keep back your Heifers?
Has your Margins been wide enough for it to work?

What are you paying - to keep your heifers back?
Prices are high for bred heifers - but expenses are just as high.
When prices were lower were you making $100-$300 Net profit from your cows.
Has that Net Profit increased/decreased.
Before you say - I'm keeping every heifer - Ask yourself if you can afford to.
Higher prices does not mean Higher Profits.
http://heiferpro.wordpress.com/2014...t-minute-can-you-afford-to-hold-back-heifers/

Kit - Breed Heifers/Build Herds -- http://Heifer.PRO

I am keeping more heifers than usual this year also. Two factors have led to it.

One we have excess grass. If it doesn't get eaten it will be wasted.

Two, with the prices our cull heifers bring $1500+. I can keep them till spring time and make money on that.

Latest posts