Prolapse?????

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasSimmentals

Reaction score
Hi I am new here......I have a problem
Cow that prolapsed BEFORE she had her calf and we took her to the vet and he "sewed" her back up and now she has a good healthy 4 month old bull calf......but today I was checking on the herd and she has seemed to have prolapsed again??????? What gets me the most is that she still is raising a calf. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow but I was just wondering has anyone heard of this or had this happen before. :)

I've had some to prolapse. None of them live here anymore. I'd sew her back up, get her healed up, and sell her.

some cows will prolapse once an no more.an some cows will prolaps twice.if she has prolapsed again id sew her up.wean her calf an send her to the sale barn.an put the calf on feed or send the calf to the sale.

your cow has a vaginal prolapse and she will do the same thing again, everytime she is heavy bred. it gets worse every year. a uterine prolapse is different it will come out after the calf is born and can be put back and not happen again. you need to sell the cow i have had it happen they do not get better

Yes I know that we need to sell her but what I am trying to ask is --she has a 4 month old calf this is what I do not understand......don't they normaly prolapse right before or right after the calf is born???? :???:

Prolapses are caused by a lot of strain, labor is the usual culprit. A couple of years ago we had a heifer get knocked over in a feed trough layin on her back, she had a prolapsed rectum when we found her that morning. Our best guess was she had popped it out trying to get out of the trough, she had never been bred

TexasSimmentals":1a33v79x said:
Yes I know that we need to sell her but what I am trying to ask is --she has a 4 month old calf this is what I do not understand......don't they normaly prolapse right before or right after the calf is born???? :???:

Noramlly yes, but a very thin or very fat cow can prolapse anytime.

We took her to the vet today and he said that is could be genetic.........he also said that since it is her second time we would probably be doing this alot if we kept her any longer.......he reccomended to sell her now with the calf. We took his word and are selling her and the calf on Sunday......Thank yall for your input :D

they also can prolapse again (easily) when they come in to heat or when mounting other cows that are in heat.

Latest posts