Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Ok, so we havent had the subject of prolapse come up yet this month so here goes.

If you recall i had a crappy Christmas day because Dad and I had to pull a dead calf that had its head turned back. the cow had no doubt been straining pretty well before i found her. got her in the chute easily, extremely docile cow, and pulled calf without too much trouble. let her out immediately (Dads idea..). I kind of wanted to let her clean the dead calf in the pen. but anyway it was his cow. so anyway, for the next few days she had some retained placenta, which was no big deal and to be expected. i kept an eye on her and she finally cleaned out. so the past week or so she has had bulls following her pretty much non stop and she has been riding a lot of cows. yesterday afternoon i saw her laying on the pond dam with a bull next to her and i got her up so that i could pass in the truck. she was normal then b/c i looked closely at her laying down and after she got up she had a string of ..love potion ooze out of her. normal. well this morning when i got here to check on cows Dad had already been out and noticed a "red cow that was not about to calve that looked like she was going to prolapse". He said when she got up it went back in and asked if i'd ever seen anything like that. I said yeah, it sounds like a weak vaginal wall, and you will sometimes see a bubble when they are laying down that will go back in when they get back up and that i usually cull against that. He had tried to get her in the pen but she went to the back forty with the others. so i went and checked on all the new calves and found her and it was the cow that we had pulled the calf on Christmas day. i noticed when she rode something that it shot out, and stuck out more when she layed down. but at this point it is going back in. its not the vaginal bubble that you sometimes see, its more, probably about 4-6 inches in length. its teh vagina plus some, i think. first thing in the morning i plan on getting her up and getting the vet to sew her up and she will be on her way in a few weeks or so. i had wanted to keep her and let her calve again but oh well. so i guess i'm wondering if anyone else has had one prolapse a month and ten days after calving when she came in heat? what about sugar, is it better to put plain sugar on or a sugar water solution? what other pointers do you have?

oh yeah, shes a 10 year old cow about 3/4 limousin and 1/4 brahman.

I would go ahead and sell her now . If you stitch her up I wouldn't leave her with a bull . Stitchs can be a little hard on a bull . :shock:

she would be separated from bulls if stitched, i'd like to put some weight on her before she goes though.

Beefy":2bphgd6m said:
what about sugar, is it better to put plain sugar on or a sugar water solution? what other pointers do you have?

Sugar water would probably be easier to apply. As in a spray bottle.

If you're taking her to the vet anyway to get stitched up, I'd just load her and go - and let him worry about what and how to deal with it. LOL.

i wont be taking her to the vet, the vet will be coming here. but i was asking more for future reference. ive often wondered which works better. thanks.

i would think plain sugar would work better b/c it would draw more water. but sugar water would be easier to apply.

The old remedy for prolapse is plain granular sugar. Our old vet used it many years ago, rubbed it all over the prolapse, then started pushing it back. He said it did several things, helped the swelling to down, gave it "grit" so you could push, and also added "energy" (not sure about this one).

:shock: Th sugar trick really did work! About 10 years ago, we had a heifer prolaspe ( accidently got bred- she was in
the feed lot) Any way, I encased her uterus in sugar and
low and behold, it strunk up and the vet put her back together.
She was able to go back in the feedlot and then off to the
packers. ;-)

Anyone know the principle behind "why" sugar would work? along the lines of a hypertonic solution drawing the water from the surrounding cells and tissue, or is it more complex than that? And might salt work just as well?

Sugar is supposed to draw the moisture from it (have done it here too, but only works well if the prolapse is still fairly 'new') and therefore shrink the size of the uterus.

Whatever you do, I sure as Sam Hill wouldn't put salt on it...imagine that would be horribly painful to the animal.

Take care.

Ohhhhh...yeah, sure, that would make sense. :nod: (duh, lol.) Now, if that's the way it works, I'd bet salt would have the same action as sugar, but the latter would be easier on the animal. OK, I understand it now. 'thanks. ;-)

salt would definitely shrivel it but your cow would probably freak out too.

well, we got her did. might post some pics tomorrow, they didnt turn out too good though.

I had heard of the sugar trick but had never tried it. I had one prolapse a couple of weeks ago and after fighting about half an hour to get it back in I went and got five pounds of sugar.I covered it in sugar,pushed a while, added more sugar,until I finally got it back in. The sugar dried it up some,made it easier to get a grip for pushing.I saw a vet give a muscle relaxer to a cow with a prolapse I coundn't get back in and it went in easy as pie after that shot.

I saw our vet stick a needle in the top of the tailhead of one cow that was fighting and she quit fighting. I guess it acted as some sort of nerve block? Has anyone ever tried that?

Beefy - what did you do with the cow in the pictures?

sidney411":26mdvi51 said:
I saw our vet stick a needle in the top of the tailhead of one cow that was fighting and she quit fighting. I guess it acted as some sort of nerve block? Has anyone ever tried that?

I haven't seen just a needle, but I have seen an injection of lidocaine in the tail head. Nerve block or perhaps it is a spinal block - seen it used when my vet is doing an ultrasound on a cow, on a rectal prolapse, when preparing to flush a cow, etc. Mostly work that involves the back end. Seen it used on a cow with a backwards calf that needed to be rearranged as the tail was coming first, and they couldn't get to the hind feet. Sure relaxes them pronto, that's for sure.

While I'm on the topic of lidocaine, I've seen a whole bottle injected into a surgery site prior to making that first incision. Local anesthetic.

sidney411":2i98fet6 said:
Beefy - what did you do with the cow in the pictures?

shes sewed up and living in the pen with the cripple bull. i will take her stitches out in a few days and she will hit the road in a few weeks. if you mean how did we treat her, i posted some details on the prolapse pics thread.

Afew months ago, I had 2 different animals prolapse in the same day. The first was a first calf heifer, it was a total prolapse, not just the uterus, the vet said, it would be best to sell the animal later, then, that nite, the other cow prolapsed(that one died after) She was 10, plus she had tears in her uterus (not good) I was telling her about the first calf heifer, and she said it wasn't always necessary to get rid of them after a prolapse, especially with a young animal, so now I'm not sure what to do, 2 different vets that work at the same clinic, 2 different opinions, should I sell her or keep her? Any thoughts.

Also I read about the sugar thing, the first vet said salt is best for someone to put on, until the vet arrives, I know some said this might hurt and burn the animal, but I wouldn't think it would, especially after just giving birth.

see ya

GMN":3tm1736h said:
Afew months ago, I had 2 different animals prolapse in the same day. The first was a first calf heifer, it
  • was a total prolapse, not just the uterus,
the vet said, it would be best to sell the animal later, then, that nite, the other cow prolapsed(that one died after) She was 10, plus she had tears in her uterus (not good) I was telling her about the first calf heifer, and she said it wasn't always necessary to get rid of them after a prolapse, especially with a young animal, so now I'm not sure what to do, 2 different vets that work at the same clinic, 2 different opinions, should I sell her or keep her? Any thoughts.

Also I read about the sugar thing, the first vet said salt is best for someone to put on, until the vet arrives, I know some said this might hurt and burn the animal, but I wouldn't think it would, especially after just giving birth.

see ya
they aint much left after the uterus to prolaspe

GMN":25x1pv01 said:
Afew months ago, I had 2 different animals prolapse in the same day. The first was a first calf heifer, it was a total prolapse, not just the uterus, the vet said, it would be best to sell the animal later, then, that nite, the other cow prolapsed(that one died after) She was 10, plus she had tears in her uterus (not good) I was telling her about the first calf heifer, and she said it wasn't always necessary to get rid of them after a prolapse, especially with a young animal, so now I'm not sure what to do, 2 different vets that work at the same clinic, 2 different opinions, should I sell her or keep her? Any thoughts.

see ya

Sell her why take the risk .