Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
Today we found one of my parents older cows with a vaginal prolapse. Unfortunately we couldn't get a vet out to look at her. I loaded her up and took her down to my place where I could get her in a chute. I cleaned the area up with iodine and just pushed it back in. It was really pretty easy. Hopefully it will stay in place. I don't know how to do stitches and I didn't want to make the problem worse. Hopefully my parents can get her loaded up and to the vet tomorrow. I can't get away from work or I would just do it myself.

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I doubt it will stay.. Is she due to calve soon?? Brahman influenced? If she lays down and puts pressure on it. It will pop back out. Most likely will need sewn up..good luck with her...

She should calve soon. I doubt it will stay too. I'm hoping they can get her to the vet tomorrow. Then after she has this calf, it's time to go to the sale.

AZAggie":2n5d6ca6 said:
She should calve soon. I doubt it will stay too. I'm hoping they can get her to the vet tomorrow. Then after she has this calf, it's time to go to the sale.
They can use a suture that will break when she calves...

Some time ago, we had one cow have a prolapse. I put it back in, but it kept coming out. Finally had the vet stitch her up and that kept it in. The problem was she was heavily pregnant, and the deal was we had to be near her when she began to go into labor to cut the stitches. She began to have contractions so I cut the stitches and she calved. Unfortunately, both twins were born dead for an unknown reason and needless to say, she is in somebody's freezer. I would stitch her up to keep it in until near the time of calving, because it could become a calving hazard.

Latest posts