prolapse stitches

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
Had a 3rd stage, 6 year old cow have a cervical prolapse last week. Took her to the vet and had her stitched up. Mom and Dad volunteered to watch her. Dad doesn't have cows anymore but still has a pen right behind house.

She is showing signs of "maybe" being in labor. lays down gets up. Haven't seen her lay down and really stretch out though.

How long is it safe to wait to cut stitches? I have had to do this twice before in my 58 years and both times i went out and the cow was laying down and pushing and I cut the stitches the calf exited and a few months later the cow went to the sale barn...
Am I getting too antsy, don't want to lose the calf. or cow. Also hate for my 81 year old dad to be going out in the middle of the night checking on my cow.

Is there a chance the stitches are keeping her from really pushing or is that out of their controll????

The stiches are just keeping stuff in, not affecting her pushing. Don't cut them till she is for sure in labor and really bearing down. We had a cow a couple of years ago we cut the stiches on 3 times and she reprolapsed so sewed her up again Should have called her Betsy Ross with all the sewing going on. Since she was AI bred and we knew her due date, when she got close we induced her then just watched her real close so we could cut the stiches.

Thanks Dun. I saw her humped up quite a while but figured out she was peeing forever. Did a little reading and found out between the prolapse and stitches can cause a small stream.
Told my Dad I would be out to check her at 2 am. He told me to stay home. Thirty mile round trip. I may be almost 60, but he still tells me what to do.....
You think every four hours is enough through the night? They can see her all day when it's daylight.

4 hours should be fine, just when the 4 hours are up and she is checked be ready to cut the stiches just in case

If you know when she's bred then just induce her so you know when the calf is coming.