Project for School - Advice Needed!

Help Support CattleToday:

uanmi11

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I am trying to figure out how / if it possible to make the hay buying process easier / simpler.

Can anyone provide some thoughts or help?

Thanks,
S

More information needed, what kind of project for school? Where are you located? Just don't know what you are asking.

Thanks!

I am taking an class on understanding buying processes and what I can do to make things simpler.

I feel like buying hay is a long, and sometimes annoying process.

How can the process of buying be improved? What steps could be cut out?

Hope that helps & thank you very much for your help.

Sarah

uanmi11":1xvpuwoe said:
Thanks!

I am taking an class on understanding buying processes and what I can do to make things simpler.

I feel like buying hay is a long, and sometimes annoying process.

How can the process of buying be improved? What steps could be cut out?

Hope that helps & thank you very much for your help.

Sarah

Why don't you lay out the steps as you see it here? Then folks might be able to help you. I am sure most will help.

I don't know how hay buying where ever your from is done but around here I know all of the hay producers and know when they are cutting hay I call and ask what they are getting this year and from there I let him know what I want if there prices are in line with the market. fairly simple process IMO

Why do you think buying hay is a complicated process? Most people have a hay supplier they use, if not you get the word out they need hay and search out a source. Then you settle on a price and buy and either haul it yourself or have someone haul it for you. Some hay producers will sell you the hay and deliver it for an extra fee, you won't even have to touch it. When it does get complicated is when their is a drought and no hay is produced locally then you have to have it trucked if from other areas. I do not see how it can be improved from this method other than growing and baling yourself.

Wow, thanks everyone.

In particular, i would like to know why selling is hard? Is it tough to get the hay out there in the market?

Why selling the hay is hard ? In Texas we have been in a prolonged drought and the cattle inventory is low all agri business people are hurting. The cost of producing hay has gotten so expensive , hay is now selling for $85 to $110 for a round bale. When you feed from 3 to 5 bales per cow a year it takes all your profit to feed hay. A lot of ranches have been subdivided into 5 acre lots also a lot of large ranches have been high fenced and turned into game ranches.

i know where i am located another added cost is competition with farmers on leasing land, farmers back home are able to pay a higher price per acre and are more than willing to break open pretty good producing fields so everything in blackland that isn't covered with brush farmers pretty well have it in hand. When we can find places they are small and seperated by a decent bit of mileage. Then the prices to fix up a patch is risky with many leasers not willing to lease out on long term contracts so when you get these pieces you are afraid to put in all inputs to reach maximum potential not to mention mother nature.

uanmi11":1pn6rj50 said:
Wow, thanks everyone.

In particular, i would like to know why selling is hard? Is it tough to get the hay out there in the market?

Where are you from?

What school?

This project will have an outline - put it out there

Otherwise you will either be getting us to do your work or you will drag this out all day

Try selling your used car - or buying a used car.

Substitute hay for the car

Nothing complicated about it at all - people having problems buying and selling usually create their own problems.

There you go

Bez

Latest posts