Problems to brag about

Help Support CattleToday:

Heard that. I wanted to kill the coastal bermuda on the perimeter of my hay field so it would be easy to harrow a firebreak around the field. I've sprayed roundup on it 3-4 times 2-3 weeks apart and it's only half dead.

randiliana":1pkuifa3 said:
Our calves weighed so much that they wouldn't all fit on our cattle liner... Took 2 smaller trailers to get them all to town too.

I've had that happen too. Just recently sold some weaners and the agent called up the truckers and booked them on as yearlings - I not too happy thinking he's going to sell them as older than they are but he says, if he didn't do that, there wouldn't be space for them on the truck.
And I've had that happen before, and they had to go away and come back with a bigger truck hours later.

We had such a good preg check that we don't have enough calf coats... 1st round A.I. we got 10/11 head pregnant (2 of which are ET) and 1 is a set of twins. We only have I believe 3 calf coats left, and here we are with 11 beef calves due the same day (well, 2 are due a week early due to maturity of the embryos) plus all the regularly scheduled dairy cows. Oh, and we don't have enough maternity pens in the old dairy tie-stall barn unless we kick all the holsteins out, which is an idea I doubt dad will like! :lol:

Didn't lose a single calf this year & we had a brutal winter! Okay, 4 of them are missing the tips of their ears (and 1 half his tail) and we had a couple close calls but all ended up great. Weaned 28 spring calves on 10/9 and was probably the easiest weaning ever - not a single snotty nose, any kind of sickness or abortion, 27 are hand-feeders so they're fat, easy to handle & have good dispositions. That said, we're about ready to sell them but the market tanked last week. WTH =(

Latest posts