Problem with first time calving heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We bought 8 bred heifers and one bred cow on 11-15-13. Three of them were 7+ months when we bought them and the cow had a nice heifer calf on 12-24-13. One of the bred heifers that was 7+ months bred is smaller and has been looking like she's going to have the calf any time now for about a week but nothing yet. She doesn't act in distress but my older friend wants to take her to the vet. I think just let her do her thing. Any advice? She has shown discharge off and on for a week.

I hink he's just excited and being impatient about the whole thing because she is smaller than the rest of the heifers. We wouldn't have bought her but it was a package deal with the others and she was cheap so we said what the heck we'll take her to.

My friend called the vet today and they said to bring her by in the morning (I knew they would say that). She's dripping milk, discharging and the whole uncomfortable thing. She is a small heifer and the vet said she might have just quit trying. I would probably let her alone but he wants to go so I don't mind.

We left her at the vet Monday morning. They checked her and said the calf was LARGE and she wasn't in labor but should be. Anyway, they gave the meds to induce her and we'll know something by Wednesday. They said C-section is last resort but might have to. This is the heifer I wouldn't have taken but again, it was a package deal and she was in the package. She is little and small in the hip area. We're hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I'll let you know tomorrow what happens. 3 of the remaining 6 heifers are looking like they are very close to calving also--STRESS

Tncattle,

I hate to hear your having trouble with that heifer. Please keep us updated as to how she is doing. How many heifers/cows are y'all up to now?

Kyle

Vet called this morning and she had a heifer calf but isn't accepting it very well, we're leaving it up there until tomorrow. But they are both alive!! So far we are 3 for 3 on the bred heifers with 2 heifer calves and 1 bull calf

Little wonder she is not accepting it well, dragging her all over the countryside and leaving her in a foreign place to calve. A good example of how detrimental over zealous intervention can be.
Tn I do realise it wasn't your decision to haul her in. Hopefully she will be OK with it in the morning when she gets a bit of peace and quiet over night.
Ken

tncattle":it9rg75x said:
Vet called this morning and she had a heifer calf but isn't accepting it very well, we're leaving it up there until tomorrow. But they are both alive!! So far we are 3 for 3 on the bred heifers with 2 heifer calves and 1 bull calf

She deliver on her own? Pull it? Good chance that once she settles down and the calf nurses good, all will be good.

tncattle":1nzgqnn1 said:
We left her at the vet Monday morning. They checked her and said the calf was LARGE and she wasn't in labor but should be. Anyway, they gave the meds to induce her and we'll know something by Wednesday. They said C-section is last resort but might have to. This is the heifer I wouldn't have taken but again, it was a package deal and she was in the package. She is little and small in the hip area. We're hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I'll let you know tomorrow what happens. 3 of the remaining 6 heifers are looking like they are very close to calving also--STRESS
If it makes you feel any better I only have 37 heifers left to calve out. Hopefully they go better than last year when we pulled 11 of 45.

Went and got the new mama and calf, it was a bull calf and he looks good. He was nursing good but only when she was in "lock up". We put them in a barn stall with plenty of hay for her to eat and both to bed down on, it's dry and no wind. We haven't seen him nursing yet but she is tolerate and seems to be ok with him. So far we have 2 bull calves and 2 heifer calves out of the 8 bred heifers.

Latest posts