Problem with bottle calf-milk to dry feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Doug in KY

Reaction score
I bought a bottle calf on 7/28. I had it vet checked coming out of the sales barn and it was running a fever. So draxxin and banamine administered. On 8/16 the fever is back with coughing and labored breathing. LA 200 for 3 days. 8/27 fever is back and scours. Got the scours stopped and called the vet. Over the phone vet said the calf probably will not make it but gave me Nufore and Banamine. Now the calf is strong and sucking milk well but shows little sign of wanting dry feed and will eat a little hay and grass. It has not figured out how to drink water from a bucket unless it is sucking my fingers in the water bucket. Except for not eating dry feed or grass/hay and a slight cough that just hangs on, the calf is strong and acting normally. Anybody have any ideas on getting this calf started on dry feed?

you can try putting feed in the pail or trough.an let the calf find it on his own.or you could let him suck feed from your fingers.some calves dont get in a big hurry to learn how to eat feed.

What type of dry feed are you using ? Pellets or sweet feed mixture ? On calves like that I use a sweet feed. I also add alittle brown sugar and mix it in. To start ,after I feed a bottle to the calf. I will put alittle feed in it's mouth. Feed him over the container,so he can smell and see the feed. It will take a couple of times for him to catch on. Put a little where he has access to it. I wouldn't put out no more than a cup or two ,until he starts eating it .

Do you have anymore calves that are already eating dry feed? If you do, put one of them in with the calf. Monkey see...monkey do.

Make sure any calf you put in with this one is vaccinated. Wouldn't hurt to vaccinate the one you are having problems with, either.

One other thing for you to try...Put less water in the bottle of milk replacer. Give him the same amount of dry powder, but with a pint or two less water. That way he still gets the nutrition but is left a little hungry and thirsty. Maybe it'll make him go for the water and dry feed. I've had really good luck with this.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice

Is this a baby calf? I understand everyone does things differently, but with baby calves we just bottle feed them and keep some dry feed out (and a little hay) and let them find it on their own. They always do when they are ready. We have also had calves avoid any grain or pellets and just go for the hay. It comes natural, no one has to teach them how to eat grass in the pasture when they are old enough. Good Luck!

I think you are just going to have to be pateint with this little guy.I would not cut back on milk as long as he is fighting this respiratory thing,If anything I might increase his milk.Alice is right on the money with the vaccination idea.I would give something like Bovi-Shield 5 every 14 days for 3 rounds.I think your vet is trying to tell you that this calf is headed toward being a chronic.We discoverd a couple of years ago that by using vaccines leftover from our big groups on the sick pen many of those calves can be saved.

Thanks y'all for all the good advice. I have been giving him a handful or two of sweet feed at each feeding. He will eat it, but just is not interested. I'll try the brown sugar. I had him in with some other calves but he kind of stayed to himself and did not join with the rest. I seperated him out again after his breating got laboured again. I'll try again after the vaccine has had a chance to start working. Meanwhile, he's hanging in there so I'll keep working with him. Thanks again.

Doug

Latest posts