Problem Cow please help

Help Support CattleToday:

Defarm

Reaction score
Can anyone help. I have a cow who can eat silage etc but she has now lost the cudding process. We have traced it to a minute piece of soil in the silage. This has caused the cow to have a slight paralise in her face, however i think this is coming back to her, but the problem now is she cannot cud what she eats. I have spoken to the vet and he has advised that i take her off silage and give her straw or hay. This has been done but still she cannot cud. Has anyone ever had this problem or can anyone advise me on what to do? :help:

What's her manure like? sounds like her rumen may not be working -- what the vet was trying to fix by giving her straw.

I haven't had very good success getting those cases turned around; putting wheels under her may be your best bet.

Hi thanks for your reply. The vet was just trying to find something to get her eating again. Have you any ideas to help to get her ruman working again?

That's the purpose of giving straw or stemmy, dry hay -- to force the rumen to function like it ought. Silage won't do the job as it's generally wet and leafy.

Sometimes rumenex boluses or probiotics will help, but....

I'd ship her. JMO.

Out of curiousity though -- how was it determined she could not chew her cud?

Defarm":1pgassl3 said:
Hi thanks for your reply. The vet was just trying to find something to get her eating again. Have you any ideas to help to get her ruman working again?

Do you know how to tube? If so pm me and I'll try and help

milkmaid":2t39i9cf said:
That's the purpose of giving straw or stemmy, dry hay -- to force the rumen to function like it ought. Silage won't do the job as it's generally wet and leafy.

Sometimes rumenex boluses or probiotics will help, but....

I'd ship her. JMO.

Out of curiousity though -- how was it determined she could not chew her cud?

Lose of weigh cow noising through silage but not eating after investagation i pulled lumps of silage from her mouth and throat, it was partially chewed and was a terrible smell.

had a calf that did that once had my grandpa told us to get the clean paper that is inside the feed bags it the brown paper. Let them eat it. Well it worked the claf got his cud back and started eatting like before. Sounds crazy I know but it worked ;-)

Defarm":1j8273ma said:
Can anyone help. I have a cow who can eat silage etc but she has now lost the cudding process. We have traced it to a minute piece of soil in the silage. This has caused the cow to have a slight paralise in her face, however i think this is coming back to her, but the problem now is she cannot cud what she eats. I have spoken to the vet and he has advised that i take her off silage and give her straw or hay. This has been done but still she cannot cud. Has anyone ever had this problem or can anyone advise me on what to do? :help:

ok. :help:

someone please explain this all to me. ive never heard anything like this before.

what does the minute piece of soil in the silage have to do with anything?

*beefy is perplexed*

Beefy":19m65rqd said:
Defarm":19m65rqd said:

someone please explain this all to me. ive never heard anything like this before.

*beefy is perplexed*
:lol: Yeah, me too.

My cows eat dirt all the time.....

Pull the grass up by the roots and eat plant, root, dirt and all.

I'm confused too. How did you trace this minute piece of dirt? Are you on a hazardous waste site or something?

grannysoo":mwc5lqfi said:
My cows eat dirt all the time.....

Pull the grass up by the roots and eat plant, root, dirt and all.

I'm confused too. How did you trace this minute piece of dirt? Are you on a hazardous waste site or something?
Hi, the dirt we are talking about came from the fiels soil whilst the bales were being made, as last season was very wet with us.

When soil and fresh grass are baled together, when the bales are wrapped and the silage begins to ferment the silage can become contaminated.

The cow has now been treated with anit biotics and Vetremex and i can say she has now started to cud !!!! :D

Beefy":1erk7fbk said:
Defarm":1erk7fbk said:

*beefy is perplexed*

That makes 2 of us.

Latest posts