Probably been covered before working systems

Help Support CattleToday:

Phil A.

Reaction score
Does anyone have some drawing of working facilities they think are just perfect? Looks like I am getting close to the once in a lifetime opportunity to tear out the old system and build one the way I think is perfect. Now for some background.

We are farily small operation running 75 or so pairs depending on year and grass. We do lots of ET work as we are a cooperator herd for and other deal. So we will put a cow through the chute easily 3-5 times in a very short period. I need several pens so I can sort calves off of cows with out them getting trampled while going through chute. I will want to be able to use these catch pens dual purpose during calving that once they are 1-2 days old we can move out to these catch pens for 2-4 days before calves move on out to grass where it is cleaner and healthier. Kind of thinking some sorting pens 20' wide by 40' long to stage cows in before the come to chute. Maybe 2-4 pens like this. Then make an alley out one end to tub and chute then come out chute and be able to go to an alley on opposite end to go right back in these pens.

Any way if anyone has pictures or a drawing of a system they really like I would enjoy looking at them. I do not really care about what make of chute is prefered or anything like that I am more interested in how the entire facility is set up.

Phil A.

Phil:
Draw a horseshoe on a sheet of paper. Double the horseshoe for the alleys and sweep tub - probably 12 feet wide. Then connect the legs of the horseshoe to show your 20 X40 pens. Give yourself good and safe access to your working chute. Will you load out from this facility? Have one overriding priority for these pens - in my case, I wanted to be able to load out, sort or work my cows by myself. In your case, it may be to have multi-use pens. I searched everywhere for a picture of the ideal set of pens, but ended up designing them myself. Good luck!

Latest posts