Pro Team Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

Managed to check out a few things and saw a professional stainless steel chicken/turkey plucker... had to get off and go to get cows in and I guess it sold... It was only going for $100 when I got on to peruse the items... sure wish I could have gotten it...

Managed to check out a few things and saw a professional stainless steel chicken/turkey plucker... had to get off and go to get cows in and I guess it sold... It was only going for $100 when I got on to peruse the items... sure wish I could have gotten it...
Jltrent, watch the next sale for her.

If buyers cut off price is $150 he will bid up to 150 and then pay 10 percent buyer's premium, but if his cut off was $150 he won't bid up to $160 at a no buyer premium auction .
I may be in the minority, but if my cutoff is $150 I'm going to divide that by 1.1 ahead of time and that's as high as I'm going to bid. I despise a buyer's premium, and it takes money out of the seller's pocket if I'm the one bidding.

I despise a buyer's premium, and it takes money out of the seller's pocket if I'm the one bidding.
No it doesn't. It just doesn't add money to the sellers pocket.
Seller gets no different take home if subtract you 10 percent from 150 your cut of is 136.37)realistically $135).that is what the seller takes home.
If your cut of is 150 and seller pays 10 percent commission seller still goes home with $135
Only difference is most don't dont do that. So on average sellers go home with more money.
It also reduces your chance of being high bidder by at least 10%
If another bidders cutoff is $150 but doesn't subtract the buyers premium. You will stop bidding at $135 and he will bid at least one more time making him the high bidder instead of you .

Last edited:
No it doesn't. It just doesn't add money to the sellers pocket.
Seller gets no different take home if subtract you 10 percent from 150 your cut of is 136.37)realistically $135).that is what the seller takes home.
If your cut of is 150 and seller pays 10 percent commission seller still goes home with $135
Only difference is most don't dont do that. So on average sellers go home with more money.
It also reduces your chance of being high bidder by at least 10%
If another bidders cutoff is $150 but doesn't subtract the buyers premium. You will stop bidding at $135 and he will bid at least one more time making him the high bidder instead of you .
That would be all fine and dandy if the auction company charged the sellers less if there was a buyer's penalty, most still charge the same percentage. Let's work with 10% just for grins.

Sale with item that I'd spend $150 max on, no buyer penalty and 10% commission rate:
$150 - 10% = $135 takehome for the buyer, auctioneer nets $15.

Same item with a 10% buyer penalty and same commission rate:
$135 - 10% = $121.50 takehome for the buyer, auctioneer nets $27.00 ($13.50 BP plus $13.50 commission).

I can't help other people's stupidity, if they're willing to pay more than an item is worth just to say they bought it - more power to them. A fool and his money soon part ways.

Not they way it works in the real world almost every auction has either a commission or buyer's premium not both.
Like it or not that is the way it works.
And answers the question of why the buyers premium.
No one is forcing you to like it . Or buy from a auction but fact is buyer's premium overall adds more money to sellers and auction house pockets.

Not they way it works in the real world almost every auction has either a commission or buyer's premium not both.
Show me one auction company that charges a Buyer's Penalty but no commission to seller.

I had a rifle recently I wanted to sell, local auction house wanted 15% commission to sell the rifle and would charge the buyer an additional 10% on top of that. I listed it on Gunbroker and they charged 6% for the first $325 and 4% for the balance over $325.

Latest posts