priefert so1 vs s04

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
for those of you that have owned both or just plane know these chutes,what is the difference between the 2? The main difference that I see is the width. Ithink that's about by 4 inches? socould you widen the squeezeout ?

I don't know which model number I bought but it was the cheapest one.
It was too short. I had a bull with a foot problem and had to catch his head cause he was too long for the chute to slide the back gate shut. All I needed was to get him in the chute to look at his foot.
His head was nearly too big to get in the head gate, had he been hard to get along with I'd of had trouble.
So be sure to get the longer one

If you can swing it, go with the bigger one. I have the S01 and it is a great chute. I really like it. But, my old bull has a hard time occasionally getting in, and he is longish too, so sometimes I can only get his head caught and have to leave the tail gate open. I can get him in it, but he has to get humped up a little. No problem on any of the cows, 1400 ish. Some bigger, some smaller.

You may have looked at these already. I own the SO4 and I am very pleased with it. I've never been around the SO1.

SO1
[youtube]https://youtu.be/sRjxyatURPo[/youtube]

SO4
[youtube]https://youtu.be/4353QzNWXVY[/youtube]

let me ask you guys this, If the so1 isn't long enough or wide enough, how hard would it be to widen and lengthen the chute. I believe the head gate would fit and I don't think you would need to lengthen the squeeze panels. But from your base s01 price to your base so4 price I am looking at close to 2000 dollars. Yes I hate to modify brand new equipment, but for the price difference if the chut didn't work would it be possible? I don't have a chute around here to inspect but from pictures it look like it would be possible

I just looked up specs and you only gain 2" width and 12" length, if your AI your cows the length scares me a little. I believe mine is the SC11 that model discontinued into the SC13. From $2700-$6000 I'd be hard pressed not to make the s01 work!

We worked buddies heavy bred Angus cows with my chute. Biggest chute I know of in the county. We had 2 get stuck. Floor is slippery in them is what I blame most of it on but it's not big enough for 2000# cows either way.

Anything is possible with enough time and/or money. Remember, you're not just widening and lengthening the chute, which I wouldn't do anyway even if I was gonna widen it (I'd add a palp cage to the setup), you've got the linkage for the gate/squeeze/side gate to adjust as well. If you have animals to run through, often enough, that are too big for it, go with the S04. If you got the time and inclination to tinker around with modifying the S01, have at it. I know 2k is 2k, and I try to keep my costs down too, I have to, but my time is worth something. The money for the big one, used, is the way I'd go if I ran big stuff through enough to really need one. My old bull is the only one that won't fit. Young bull, and all cows, no problem.

The same headgate will fit either. The rear gate is totally different. After using both, I would splurge and go for the bigger one. That's what we replaced the smaller one with and have really been pleased. Kind of surprising what a difference 2 piddly inches can make.

I've had both, wouldn't trade 1 SO4 for 2 SO1's, sold my SO1 got another SO4, the rear gate is the best option to me, it lets me go behind them down the alley and catch them in the chute, then into the headgate. The extra size is nice also.
SO4 around here is about 3600. SO1 about 2700 the last I seen prices on them.

I just bought a s04 last fall and really like it. I own a welding company do a lot of fabrication work, I don't see any way you could widen & lengthen that chute for what the difference in the cost is, even if you didn't figure your time to do it, the material will nearly cost you that much. IMO.

TCRanch":cny2cz49 said:
I worked on a 2100 lb cow in an S04 every other day for 3 weeks last summer; she's not only long but tall.
Go for it (and it makes for a nice ranch expense on your taxes).
I don't understand.
Don't you have to make a profit to worry about paying taxes? :cowboy:

I have the SO 4 and don't mind working my cattle anymore. I would think if you modify any way you would void the warranty on the chute. It was a big investment for my sons and I but safety for us and the cattle make it worth it in my book.

Son of Butch":140zej1v said:
TCRanch":140zej1v said:
I worked on a 2100 lb cow in an S04 every other day for 3 weeks last summer; she's not only long but tall.
Go for it (and it makes for a nice ranch expense on your taxes).
I don't understand.
Don't you have to make a profit to worry about paying taxes? :cowboy:

If only!! :lol:

Till-Hill":3f926zyl said:
I just looked up specs and you only gain 2" width and 12" length, if your AI your cows the length scares me a little. I believe mine is the SC11 that model discontinued into the SC13. From $2700-$6000 I'd be hard pressed not to make the s01 work!

We worked buddies heavy bred Angus cows with my chute. Biggest chute I know of in the county. We had 2 get stuck. Floor is slippery in them is what I blame most of it on but it's not big enough for 2000# cows either way.
aThe 04 is way less than $6000. I priced it today 2 years later at $3600. I may get it.

quartermeter":8a958ub7 said:
Till-Hill":8a958ub7 said:

aThe 04 is way less than $6000. I priced it today 2 years later at $3600. I may get it.

Where did you see it priced at $3600? Everywhere I have looked they are $4,800 and that is without the Palp Cage?

Here are the specs........which is 1" at the belly bar and 4 1/2 inches on the length.

Squeeze Chutes - Model S0191 This is what I have......inside difference is 24" for SO4 vs 23" for SO1 at the belly pipes. Mine has the rope pull to close side door and single door behind and the auto head gate. My inlaw has a SO4 and to me it seems the cattle can't tell a difference in them as I have used both. The at least 2200 bull had no wiggle room, he was no more that working a 500 pound calf in the prefiert.

Specs ~
Lubricate infinite locks with light oil (i.e. original WD-40). DO NOT use heavy oil or any oil with Teflon or silicon additives.
Overall Height: 78"
Overall Length: 90"
Overall Width: 42"
Weight: 976 lbs (All weights approximate)
Inside Height: 57"
Inside Length: 81"
Inside Width: 23" at the Belly Pipe, 28"" at the bend of the contoured side panels
Comes standard with the HG91 Manual Headgate
Includes Head Chain (HC)
Dip Painted Priefert Blue

Squeeze Chutes - Model S04

Specs ~
Lubricate infinite locks with light oil (i.e. original WD-40). DO NOT use heavy oil or any oil with Teflon or silicon additives.
Overall Height: 80"
Overall Length: 94.5"
Overall Width (including handles): 53"
Weight: 1210 lbs (All weights approximate)
Inside Height: 62.5" (Floor to inside top of the tailgate frame)
Inside Length: 87"
Inside Width: 24" at the Belly Pipe, 30" at the bend of the contoured side panels
Comes standard with the HG91 Manual/Automatic Headgate
Includes Head Chain (HC)
Dip Painted Priefert Blue

sstterry":3lce9e5r said:
quartermeter":3lce9e5r said:
Till-Hill":3lce9e5r said:

Where did you see it priced at $3600? Everywhere I have looked they are $4,800 and that is without the Palp Cage?
My post was from 2.5 years ago.

Till-Hill":1g15uz2b said:
sstterry":1g15uz2b said:
quartermeter":1g15uz2b said:

Sorry, Quartermeter, resurrected an old post and I did not look at the date, I thought it was the most recent thread on the subject.

sstterry":1fzn6z3a said:
Till-Hill":1fzn6z3a said:
sstterry":1fzn6z3a said:
Sorry, it was an old post and I did not look at the date, I thought it was the most recent thread on the subject.

Latest posts