Prickly cow need advice please?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Well a first again I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Sometime between this morning and this this afternoon one of my cows got curious with a porcupine......Now I have experience with dogs but never a cow until now :( .

She has quills on the fleshy part of her snout a couple by her eye and quite a few on the side of her jowl. She is grazing fine and so far does not realize there is a problem.

SO question is how do you effectively remove them with little damage and how soon do I have to get them out?Also it must have been quite a mature porcupine as the quills are rather thick.

Thank you for your replies.

~

Its Porcupine breeding season right now.
They are on the ground more frequently at this time of year.

I just went thru this with my friends 4 dogs.

You need to get the quills out ASAP.

Body heat ( of your cow ) makes the barbs expand and they become even more deeply embedded in the animal's skin. If an animal is hit in a vital place it may die.
Porcupine quills are sharp as needles. Unlike needles, quills have backwards facing barbs that catch on the skin making them difficult to extract.
They go into the body and create a severe infection, fever etc.

Animals that "attack" porcupines usually starve to death because of this swelling of the quills etc..

http://www.nhptv.org/NatureWorks/porcupine.htm

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/pq.html

Let me know how it turns out.

Best of luck,

Thank you CowCop that's a good link.

The good news if there is one is that my cow on a a score of 1 -10 from the photos on the second site she is a -10.I will have to bring everyone back into the corral tomorrow.I was going to do that anyways as we are doing herd health on Tuesday so I practice with them a few times before I expect it to work when my Vet is here.

The only thing is I am alone right now and that cow is really difficult to get into the alley to go to the shute. She is not mean just terrified because she was dehorned there last year.But I guess I will have to do my best and if not I will ask my good friends for a hand although I hate bothering people.

Maybe my husband will be home sooner than expected.

Thanks again, and I will let you know how she does.

Also, I was thinking I should treat her with Anafin and a long acting penicillin for pain and possible infection once I get the quills out.If that's not a good plan let me know please.

A shot of an anti-inflammatory non-steriodal drug and an effective dose of long-lasting penn (like 60cc's) would be a good idea. Good thinking.

Picture before you pull the quills out would be great, by the way. *hint* ;-)

milkmaid":3m2w3uo4 said:
A shot of an anti-inflammatory non-steriodal drug and an effective dose of long-lasting penn (like 60cc's) would be a good idea. Good thinking.

Picture before you pull the quills out would be great, by the way. *hint* ;-)

Looking at the pics MM your heifer and my heifer could be related.I know what you want it for so I will take a pic.Thanks for your advice; as always good and to the point :) .

The sooner you get the quills out the better. Had a calf last year run into a porcupine. She had the quills from her chin to neck, couldn't drink water or nurse.
vet came out and roped her and pulled them. Later that fall had to lance an abcess.
Wish I was closer I would come give you a hand.

hillsdown-- If she's tough to get in a chute now--wait until you get thru pulling those quills :roll: :lol: :lol:

Like I said on ranchers-- most of ours are just left to fester up and fall out on their own- as long as they aren't in the mouth or bothering breathing or eating....

If you do pull them--I definitely wouldn't try doing it alone as it is quite painful-and takes a while to pull a couple hundred quills and those old gals can get pretty wild with the head unless you got someone to help hold it back...

OK I am off to get them up to the corall.Wish me luck.

Hubby will be home this later this afternoon so he can help.YEAHHH.

I will post later hopefully with a before and after pic.

Well my husband came home long enough to dump his laundry and grab new clothes .

I couldn't get the stupid cow up; they are all being really stubborn.Not a good day too many distractions two different neighbors were moving their cows home so mine were more interested in that than me.

I will try again in the morning.My neighbor said he will help once I get her in .She has a couple quills in her rear leg as well.Not looking forward to that.

I spoke to my Vet today and he said as long as she is still eating and walking don't panic I have a few days before I really need to worry.He will be here Wednesday anyways so if worse comes to worse I will let an expert handle it.

twice we had a cow come to the barn with a nose full.
Do you have a head gate? get her in and with pliers or your fingers give quick hard pulls make sure you get them all and try not to drop them on the ground. you wouldn`t want any to end up in the cows mouth. good luck

Latest posts