pricing of straws

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
I've noticed the basic market dynamics at work - namely supply and demand, when it comes to semen costs. How much supply the bull can produce and how much demand their is seem to be the main obvious factors. however, when you have flush brothers and very similiar if not identical genetics, the difference in straw prices can seem pretty extreme to me.

Let's take SAV genetics although i'm pretty sure we could do it on lots of different seed stock herds. The difference in straw prices for Resource, Reknown, Rainfall, Raindance, President, Sensation, Seedstock, Universal, America, etc. are in some cases gigantic. Is it strictly suppy and demand or is there something else at work here?

Biggest factor, PROMOTION! There are people that own some of them bulls that go to sales and it could be funny money or not but are buying progeny at very high dollars to make their bulls look even better to the uninformed eye. It's a joke on some of these cattle if you follow the money tree. But hey they got more coin than me so play the game you want to play!

We have definitely seen guys trade dollars with each other, as well as buy up and artificially inflate the pricing of their calves if they own the sire.

And the early high prices generally end up as the way to get back the bulk of the money spent. Look at some of the semen sale sites today and bulls that were hot are bargain basement stuff now. What you anticipate is more exciting than what you know. Same theory for feather dancers.

when buying a bull a few years ago a fella told me a story about a guy buying a bull at an auction and raised his own bid to get the price to 25k. when asked why, he said people think if the bull didn't cost 25k it wasn't that good. a few years later i ran into the guy that supposedly was the buyer that raised his own bid and asked him about it. he said ya that was me but it wasn't 25k it was 30k.

Ebenezer what is feather dancers?

Old burlesque dancer with two large clumps of feathers to hide all of the delicate parts. Everybody hoped that she'd forget to cover this or that or drop one. The anticipation was the key as is the key to selling young unproven genetics. You're hoping for what is hidden while seeing little. What both sweet dreams and nightmares are both made of.

Ebenezer said:
Old burlesque dancer with two large clumps of feathers to hide all of the delicate parts. Everybody hoped that she'd forget to cover this or that or drop one. The anticipation was the key as is the key to selling young unproven genetics. You're hoping for what is hidden while seeing little. What both sweet dreams and nightmares are both made of.

Amen.

That is probably the biggest factor on these new upcoming bulls - but full sibs don't mean they have the same DNA. One may throw dogs and the other producers top end. Not normally that kind of difference, but you get the picture. And, sometimes when the price is kept high, the semen is only used on top notched cows, so therefore, better chance of having top notch calves.

Latest posts