1/4 cc straws

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsth

Reaction score
My AI supplier dropped off my semen for next springs breeding yesterday. He called and said all the semen is now in 1/4 cc straws instead of the 1/2 cc straws that I have used since starting AI. he left a new gun and said some people struggle with the new straws. Wondering if you have used the new straws and what problems breeders are having. Articles that I have read claim higher conception rates. Have you noticed that if you have been using for a while? Any comments good or bad are appreciated. I feel like a breeding beginner all of a sudden. :hide:

99% of what i use here in Australia are ¼cc and the only ½cc i use come from the states. Apparently the same amount of swimmers in there. From memory you need 2 million swimmers for successful a.i. and a straw holds 20 million. Can't really think there are any differences in using the different sizes. I have a universal gun that takes both sizes.

I have read that the straw handling is more critical with the 1/4 cc straws. Since the diameter is smaller, they are more sensitive to temperature change. I am guilty of using fingers to remove a straw instead of the plastic tweezers. In doing that you end up making some contact with adjacent straws. Smaller diameter means you have slightly heated up the end of the straw. So, more risk when handling or transferring. Have read that the 1/2 cc tweezers may not grip tight enough to remove a 1/4 cc straw. So need to purchase the 1/4 cc tweezers. Have read that the universal gun may be a problem over time when the plunger rod gets a little bend in it and may not line up with the 1/4 cc straw requiring you to seat the straw on the plunger rod and then use the straw to push the rod down into the gun. Or purchase a 1/4 cc only gun. Must use a sheath with an insert to ensure a good seal. I have not used one yet, just what I have read. Sort of like the change to metric tools decades ago. You end up with two sets of tools and need to switch between them until all the old semen is used up. Maybe 20 to 50 years to make the full transition.

The smaller straws are supposed to have a slight increase (1%) on per cent cows settled due to the more uniform temperature curve when the straws are frozen resulting in fewer damaged sperm. But, probably offset by the need for better straw handling. Probably will just take some time to get comfortable with the new stuff.

I bought a 1/4 cc gun specifically because some reported the universal guns would sometimes not work properly for them. It seems most semen companies may be transitioning to 1/4cc straws. I've not used enough to report on conception being worse or better. The only negative I've read is more chance for thermal insult through mishandling. Make sure to stay below the frost line when you're retrieving straws and use proper handling throughout. I'd say you'll be fine.

I think conception will be comparable, possibly better, but I doubt they'd put out a product that was subpar if they were charging same price for 1/4 and 1/2 cc straws.

Issues I have seen:
1/4 cc straws are more apt to crimp
1/4 cc straws seem to bust more than 1/2 during thawing
1/4 cc straws are more sensitive to the touch than 1/2 obviously, but are also more sensitive during transport from the thaw/gun load to the cow. More of an issue for Fall calvers breeding in the cold.

Take home-Just use extreme caution and use best management practices when using the 1/4 cc straws. I think they will get better with time and as breeders we will get better at our methods, which could pay dividends in the long run if we have to be a little more precise with our movements when AI breeding.

Good luck to all!

Biggest thing I've found with them is to be very gentle with them and even more careful about temps. Also originally had issues getting the straw length cut right and my rep suggested to put the straw in the gun first, trim the straw them add the sheath. Haven't had any issues since. Just be sure the plunger is back enough when you load the gun.

Biggest thing I've found with them is to be very gentle with them and even more careful about temps. Also originally had issues getting the straw length cut right and my rep suggested to put the straw in the gun first, trim the straw them add the sheath. Haven't had any issues since. Just be sure the plunger is back enough when you load the gun.
good idea!

Used a 1/4 cc straw for the first time today. No real problems. But, they are flimsy. Flex a lot more when you wipe them off with the paper towel. If you order 10 straws, all 10 are in the bottom goblet. They still have a goblet on top, but it is empty of straws. If the upper goblet is full of nitrogen, it will become a volcano when you raise the cane enough to remove a straw in the bottom goblet. Remove and empty that upper goblet first.
I used the new 1/4 cc tweezers and had no problem removing a straw. Also used a 1/4 cc gun instead of a universal gun. No issues there with getting the rod seated into the straw.
30 degrees and a good wind and breeding in an outside chute. Cold!!

I have only used a handful of ½cc straws as here in Australia they moved to ¼cc straws many moons ago but i was only thinking the other day, i was successful with every ½cc straw i have ever used. Probably only six ½cc straws all up but I've probably only done 50 inseminations in total.

Latest posts