Pricing of finshed beef: Not too high, not too low

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
We are a small family farm and have raised beef for four years. For two years we have calved with our own cows and raised the calves on our farm from birth till butcher. We have a waitlist that extends to OCT 2014, and only from word of mouth. We feed grain and leave the calves access to pasture till butcher. We have had huge compliments on the beef, especially the always desired "cutting/pulling my steak apart with a fork." This years newest calves and from here on out are and will be purebred angus. We use no hormones, only necessary when needed antibiotics, and as mentioned before, born and raised all the way through on the same farm. And none of the breeding herd is from sale barns. We were charging market live weight, this summer I raised to 5 cents over market live, but feel that is still way too generous given the demand and quality. I'm on the fence about how much more to charge for live, or to go to 2.75 or 3.00 on hanging weight. Any thoughts or experiences? (Definitely not advertising "organic" or "grassfed", just high quality homeraised beef). Thanks

turklilley":1fcj89ds said:
I raise mine almost exactly as you. $3.00 hanging is what I charge
To be more clear, i'm not including my processors .50 per pound. They do that separately. What about you turkilley?

We charge friends and family 1.99 lb hanging weight otherwise it's 2.40 plus processing which averages about 55 cents lb
depending on what they have done. That's between them and the butcher. We don't sell 1/4 's or 1/2 's they can divide it between their family or friends however they want. I don't get involved after delivery to butcher of their choice,
Other than their check to me has to clear before the butcher releases the meat to them.
Have never had a problem, but one bad check would be a headache.

Would pricing 1/4 's at 3.10 1/2's at 2.89 and entire steer at 2.70 plus processing work for you?

Son of Butch, I price the same whether it's a quarter side or full. If you sell them a discount full then some might just sell off a quarter or side, which screws you. I look at it all this way, they can go to the store all they want and pay grocery prices for something they have no idea where it's from or even what it is, or buy beef from people like us. If not considered a luxury item it's pretty darn close. You get what you pay for.

Diesel is 3.50 with or without processing?

We do the same, calves the cows, select a few to keep for freezer beef. They're free of hormone implants, put on pasture with a self feeder so they can come and go as they please, this year $2.75 hanging weight delivered to the butcher, customer pays for processing. If you look hard enough, or are willing to buy youre meat off of craigslist you'll find it cheaper but as you can see there's folks charging more too.

Latest posts