Prices?!?!?!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Brought a 5 weight steer to the stockyard yesterday, because he kept getting out. He had horns about 2 inches long, was black, but didn't look very good - a demetrius for sure. Best guess is that he's a 3rd rate mutt; and with the horns, you never know. I had traded for him and a few other calves last year. To my surprise the sucker brought $1.71/pound! I nearly choked when the wife picked the check up and called me. I haven't sold calves since last year. Are everyone seeing these prices? Over $800 for a 490 pound steer is really good in my book! Ofcourse the wife now wants me to sell more (I shouldn't have had her pick the check up :bang: ).

We are seeing those kind of prices here in East Texas. I saw a set of 46 preconditioned steers that avg weighing 567 bring $2.10 a lb Saturday a week ago at the sale at Wills Point, TX.

By the way, what sale barn did you sell your calf?

I sold 5 today with an avg weight of 432 for $205.00. Just wish I had a bunch more.

BC":2cbfxwiz said:
By the way, what sale barn did you sell your calf?

Dominique's in Baton Rouge, LA.

Yeah, I was wondering what a really good looking calf would bring. $1.71 for a mutt with horns seemed unbelievable. The only good thing about him was that he was black and already cut.

I told all of my customers today that the price of butcher calves would have to go up; I can't keep paying twice the amount for feed, and have stockyard calves bring dang near what a fed calf brings. These prices are crazy good. I was waiting for it. The supply is still really low; everyone wants to increase their herd, but the prices are so high many people are going to cash in - making the total herd even lower. Win - win all around.

I hate to say it but that doesn't sound like a certified Demetrius cause had it truly been a CaD, you'd have gotten over $2.00.

How's this for some figuring. $600/hd for 50 heifers. Toss a bull on them. Wait a few months and sell them for $1400 apiece. That's a tad better return than a cd don't you think?

Its almost scary. I'm having nightmares of chicken fried steak and turkey burgers.

The ones I sold in late January brought 1.71 as 4 weights.
They were nothing special, fine boned brindle and rwf looking do nothings.

http://www.mlslivestock.com/new_page_6.html

Provides Feb 28 results of sales. Not many head being sold. 462 total for everything. The send out a flier each week with prices and the prices were up since this posting back on Feb 28.

I've got four 5 weight steers and one 6 weight. One of them will go into my freezer. Usually I feed out some for other folks. I held these back because they were some of the best. Thinking of dumping them now along with about a dozen more heifers.

Very interesting indeed...

I noticed the number of cattle going thru our salebarn has dropped off from what it was..seems alot of guys who sold out are wanting back in..but cant afford the prices TO do that.

Jogeephus":10s575hj said:
I hate to say it but that doesn't sound like a certified Demetrius cause had it truly been a CaD, you'd have gotten over $2.00.

How's this for some figuring. $600/hd for 50 heifers. Toss a bull on them. Wait a few months and sell them for $1400 apiece. That's a tad better return than a cd don't you think?

Its almost scary. I'm having nightmares of chicken fried steak and turkey burgers.

Calling ya out Jogee.... :D >>>>$600 a head, a few months with a bull = $1400 don't compute right now.........unless your breeding 200 pound heifers. :p But I do like your optimism. :nod:

i sure am glad that im not 1 of those guys that sold out.an now they are paying high an wide for a cow just to get back in.

bigbull338":15yuamo8 said:
i sure am glad that im not 1 of those guys that sold out.an now they are paying high an wide for a cow just to get back in.

Fool and his money are quickly departed.... Makes no sense to get back in at present.....Price of hay just keeps going up every year, and not just a little, but doubling in price every couple of years....I know I am in no rush to buy anything, I will be selling the rest of the young bulls I held back.

Jo, the only thing wrong with your plan is I don't think you are gonna find the $600 heifers. Watched a sale on RFD-TV this weekend and black yearling heifers went for $1200 a head. Several potloads of them.

MO_cows":rmaw62og said:
Jo, the only thing wrong with your plan is I don't think you are gonna find the $600 heifers. Watched a sale on RFD-TV this weekend and black yearling heifers went for $1200 a head. Several potloads of them.

A friend of mine just did it. Sold them at a breeder sale a couple of weeks ago. I agree, you are not going to find heifers at the price now but back up in time a little and you could. Where will it go? I haven't a clue, that's why I have nightmares about turkey burgers and such.

Latest posts