Price to bale

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I'm thinking of having my pasture cut and baled and was curious what was a fair price per bale.
? I have two other concerns--I have cows on it with no where else to out them, can you cut and be with them in it? The next issue are the buttercups--I've been told they can be toxic. I don't have them very bad but in a couple small areas but they are scattered here and there. I sure don't want sick cows on my hands if it can be harmful if eaten as hay. Any ideas?

Not sure where you are located... avg prices here in PA/MD are $5-10 to cut, rake, bale, dry 4x5 rounds, you'll pay another $5 to have them wrapped if you're making haylage.

I was quoted 21 for 4x5 net wrapped. Can someone offer any advice on whether it will be safe to bale with the buttercups, yellow weed whatever it is in the field?

Going price around here last year was around $17-20 per 4x5 bale, net wrapped. Should be about the same this year, because costs are going to be about the same

There are people who cut and bale yellow weed (yellow rocket to some). I am not sure it is toxic after being cured and baled. They feed the hay and the cows eat it, no apparent issues.
Another problem with baling the weed is infesting new ground when feeding the hay. I have been battling yellow weed for a few years now. I wish my neighbors would spray some 2-4-D or find a way to keep it on their side of the fence.

Electric polywire should keep the cows out of the area you want to bale - it's not good practice to bale pasture contaminated with dung.
Your tractor drivers may also have a bit to say if they're being asked to drive through cows or get their machinery dirty.

I don't know about the buttercup. In theory if its the tall kind, or if you've got ragwort, it can be harmful in hay. I've never heard of anyone having problems with their cows from weeds in hay. (with their pastures when the dropped seed germinates, yes indeed)

Tim/South":1q6jv4h3 said:
There are people who cut and bale yellow weed (yellow rocket to some). I am not sure it is toxic after being cured and baled. They feed the hay and the cows eat it, no apparent issues.
Another problem with baling the weed is infesting new ground when feeding the hay. I have been battling yellow weed for a few years now. I wish my neighbors would spray some 2-4-D or find a way to keep it on their side of the fence.
Tim I believe is speaking of what we call Yellow Hop which is a form of clover and makes very good hay. It has a small yellow flower about the size of a dime. The other yellow flowering plant which is the butter cup is a very in invasive plant and is not good for man or beast.

Look down toward the bottom of this page at number 13 ..http://www.tarleton.edu/Departments/ran ... egumes.htm

The dreaded Butter Cup......http://www.wildessex.net/species/creepi ... tercup.htm

We mow, rake and bale for half the hay crop or for $18-$20 an acre(depends how rough the ground is). That's net wrapped with a JD568 baler.

we run a 567 baler and if we did custom baleing it wouldnt be that cheap.it would be like $35 to cut rake and bale.

as soon our cystom baling bill hit $5000.we went and bought a used 567 baler last year.we bought a like new rake this year.hope to get a cutter in 2yrs or sooner.

Rajela":39n1xga9 said:
Tim/South":39n1xga9 said:
Tim I believe is speaking of what we call Yellow Hop which is a form of clover and makes very good hay. It has a small yellow flower about the size of a dime. The other yellow flowering plant which is the butter cup is a very in invasive plant and is not good for man or beast.

Look down toward the bottom of this page at number 13 ..http://www.tarleton.edu/Departments/ran ... egumes.htm

The dreaded Butter Cup......http://www.wildessex.net/species/creepi ... tercup.htm
What we call yellow weed or yellow rocket is the butter cup pictured. People do bale it and it is alright once cured.
We also have a wild yellow clover that comes out early in the year.

We charge $15-20 dollars a roll, that includes cutting, teddering raking and 5x4 bales.
We have a $500. minimum, please don't waste my time, I won't waste your's. We tedder right behind the cutter, take a long lunch, tedder again wait an hour or two and rake and bale it.

jallen":1di7qdur said:
I'm thinking of having my pasture cut and baled and was curious what was a fair price per bale.
? I have two other concerns--I have cows on it with no where else to out them, can you cut and be with them in it? The next issue are the buttercups--I've been told they can be toxic. I don't have them very bad but in a couple small areas but they are scattered here and there. I sure don't want sick cows on my hands if it can be harmful if eaten as hay. Any ideas?

Lots of different prices but not a lot of clarity.

So here:

Cut - 20 bucks an acre
Ted - 12 bucks an acre
Rake - 15 bucks an acre
Bale - $1.25 per foot if round / $1.15 per foot if big squares
Wrap - 6 bucks a bale
Treat with preservative while baling - add 15 cents per foot

What ever number of bales you get - you can divide into the total cost to get your per bale price

I can tell you one thing for sure - I would never come and do your job for a cost per bale. If it is a poor crop you get your ground covered, I get all the cost and you get cheap hay. I am in business to make money - not do the job on the cheap for you and I get all the wear and tear.

Cheers

Bez__

Latest posts