Price Spread

Help Support CattleToday:

OKrancher

Reaction score
I'm looking for rough estimates of price spread between buying ready to breed holstein or jersey heifers and selling them as freshened heifers. In this case I am calving them out and not selling the calf.

Thanks,

OKrancher":z2533a18 said:
I'm looking for rough estimates of price spread between buying ready to breed holstein or jersey heifers and selling them as freshened heifers. In this case I am calving them out and not selling the calf.

Thanks,
the last time i was at the dairy sale the ready ro breed heifers holsteins was going for $900 to $1100 a hd.jersey an jersey cross ready to breed are $550 to $700 a hd.fresh the holsteins top at med bring $1200 to $2000.jersey an jersey cross fresh $800 to $1400 top to med fresh heifers.

I'd say now is a good time to buy heifers, usually in spring the price jumps up. Last June the market rebounded, then fell in September, and from what I hear it is still down.

GMN

Evidently you have a market for heifers that have calved. There is quite a drop in price from springing heifers to heifers that have already calved. Most dairymen prefer heifers adapt to their new enviroment and feed before they calve. A lot of stress right after calving can mean big trouble.

In California we pay 1450 ready to go with the bull. As springers they go from 1600 for low quality to 2200 for exceptional. I just sold a springer for 2150. On the other hand a local cattle guy sells his fresh heifers for 2000 all day long. He has a lot of the dairy guys on payment plans so they pay the price because they figure there financing the animals so whats 100 bucks. If your just a normal guy taking your fresh animal to the sale in my area you probably would get 1600-1800 for a good fresh animal.

Latest posts