Price on used chute?

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
Not sure which forum to post this in but any idea what an older cattle chute like this one is worth? This is not a picture of the actual chute but it is nearly identical in design. The steel is in good shape, probably needs a couple new wood floor boards but the whole chute looks just like the condition of the red chute portion behind the head gate. Only drawback is the head gate is like this one where the animal has to push into it to lock it closed which if your cattle are too calm they don't always ram into it hard enough. Don't have a use for ours anymore after losing a summer pasture so looking to put it on craigslist but have no idea what to price it at.

75.jpg

I'm sure it varies by region. I've seen chutes here, in far worse shape, bring well over $1000 at farm auctions.

That's the thing I follow craigslist and can get a pretty good idea on what something is worth most of the time but just not finding a comparable chute to get a good price range. A few years ago sold an old Oliver 3pt sickle mower that we got several calls on the morning after I posted it and I was worried I had had it priced too high but in hindsight I bet I could have got another 200-300 out of it I bet.

No squeeze on it, so really hurts the value. Ask $1200 and take the first $1000 that comes along. People who think that is expensive have no idea how much a new 'good' chute costs.

If you weren't so far away I'd be interested in buying it. I'd think $1000ish would be fair

Easily would pull a grand here. If there are no competitors on craigs, start at $1250 and enjoy some wiggle room on negotiations. I picked up one 3 years ago exactly like yours there, except it had the better, manual head catch. I had to weld the pull lever to work the catch back on. Gave $1000 after driving 2 hours and didn't bat an eye.

I have my old one on Craigslist now for $1150. It is an older Universal with a squeeze and trailer kit. Some surface rust but solid. Looking at this I think I am in the ballpark and think you would be in this range too. See them go crazy at sales sometimes, I have had a few nibbles but no bites. Only been listed a few days.

Till-Hill said:
Where about you located? I may be able to help you get rid of it, are the mounting brackets on it stronghold/palco design?

We're about 30 miles West of Des Moines so I'm guessing we are a little too far for you unless you knew someone around here looking for one. Grabbed a few photos today, guessing try to get around $1000 for it then based off the comments here?

chute2.jpg

chute1.jpg

SPH said:
Till-Hill said:
Where about you located? I may be able to help you get rid of it, are the mounting brackets on it stronghold/palco design?

We're about 30 miles West of Des Moines so I'm guessing we are a little too far for you unless you knew someone around here looking for one. Grabbed a few photos today, guessing try to get around $1000 for it then based off the comments here?

chute2.jpg

chute1.jpg
I'll send you a PM soon

SPH said:
Till-Hill said:

chute2.jpg

chute1.jpg

Thanks much, my old man picked it up for me today! Your dad sounds like a heck of a nice guy!

Thanks! Glad a simple question wound up helping us both out.

Latest posts