Price changes

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie?

Reaction score
I've been visiting with a friend and comparing prices of different things. We based the prices off of a yearly income of 1000 dollars per year (his dads income) and 30,000 (guessing at an average income compared to his dads income level today.

1941 a years income would buy
50 acres
10 purebred heifers
6250 gal of dislett
2564 1/2 gallons of ice cream

2008 a years income will buy
6 acres of the exact same ground
20 purebred heifers of the same quality
8571 gallons of diesel farm fuel
15075 half gallons of ice cream

I guess I have learned that real estate is a good long term investment and ice cream isn't.

yeah because if we didnt die eating that much ice cream .we would gain 200lbs in that 1 year.

Nice comparison :]

My grandparents bought the original 45 acres on their farm for $400 in the late 40's...
in the 1980's my parents bought ~2 acres in that same area for $800
I've been pricing small pieces of property locally and the cheapest I've found is wooded and rugged as everything and they're wanting $11,000 or better per acre. That's what happens when subdivisions start poppin' up in the rural areas :mad:

One of the grand relatives purchase the land lot north of the house by trading a double barrelled shotgun for the 490 acres. Everybody in town laughed at him and called him a fool. Asked him why on earth would you give up a perfectly good shotgun for a lot of land that is only good for growing trees. His children sold over a million dollars worth of timber off it 27 years ago and now there is at least that standing there again.

Latest posts