Pressure Washer On/Off switch help

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
I have a Generac pressure washer that won't cut off with the on/off switch. Pulled the switch and tested with a multimeter. Continuity between the terminals in the OFF position. No continuity between terminals in the ON position. This seems backwards to me. Am I missing something? Trying to eliminate the switch as the problem.

callmefence said:
It ground's the ignition circuit to kill the engine.
I gotta trash pump with a bad switch. I just pulled the wire out of the switch and touch the engine block to kill the engine.

Gotcha. So that would mean that my switch is working and the problem is elsewhere correct? Bc when I test the switch terminals I have continuity when I switch it off. Or maybe the switch is still the problem? Idk. But I do know how to pull the wire off and touch it to the block. Then I will know for sure. Thanks for the input. I sure didn't know that's how it killed the power.

JMJ Farms said:
callmefence said:
It ground's the ignition circuit to kill the engine.
I gotta trash pump with a bad switch. I just pulled the wire out of the switch and touch the engine block to kill the engine.

Gotcha. So that would mean that my switch is working and the problem is elsewhere correct? Bc when I test the switch terminals I have continuity when I switch it off. Or maybe the switch is still the problem? Idk. But I do know how to pull the wire off and touch it to the block. Then I will know for sure. Thanks for the input. I sure didn't know that's how it killed the power.
Good point.
maybe the ground itself. It's usually shared by a wire from oil level switch at a bolt to the block.

When the switch is in the off position it should be grounding the coil. One wire on the switch should ohm out to the coil and the other should be firmly and cleanly connected to the engine block (ground) somewhere. If it is Not shutting down either the switch is not always working (common) or a wire is broken, loose, or disconnected. When checking the wires twist them around while connected to the meter and see if the continuity comes and goes. Sign of an intermittent broken wire.

I had to get a new coil for a 6.5hp Honda engine and they were about $15 on ebay. I also needed a new switch. For about $34 posted I got the coil, switch, new recoil starter, air filter, new carby, fuel cap, plumbing and other sundries. They forgot to put the air filter so refunded $13. Like a new engine now and I can turn it off.

Ken

Latest posts