Preservative Applicator

Help Support CattleToday:

rouxshortorn

Reaction score
When I bought my Krone baler it had a 25 gallon preservative applicator tank on it. I never used one before and was wondering how many used preservative when haying? And what the advantage is ???

We used some on some haylage we put up this year. It reduced the amount of rot and made it come out a beautiful tan color and it has cured out really well and smells like a whskey barrel. Other than that, I have never used any on regular dry hay.

The primary advantage of an applicator is that hay can be baled several percentage points higher in moisture and still keep. In the case of a hardcore baler in alfalfa, I see 24% bandied about by the salemen when using the proper chemicals, versus 17-18% when using nothing. This means you can probably start baling a day earlier (depending on conditions) and you'll also lose less leaf.

In the case of haylage, different chemicals are used so the silaging process is more complete. This results in less wastage.

Does your applicator also have a control box with an in-chamber moisture tester? If see many of the newer applicators using the moisture testers on the fly to determine how much chemical to apply. This should save you money, especially if the hay dries down to 17 or 18% while you're in the field.

Rod

from what I'm reading in the manaul it just has hay indicators, but like I said this is new to me. I'll keep reading to see if it has in-chamber moisture tester on the control box. Not sure if I should just sell it or keep it,the set-up cost over $3,000.00 on the slip I have.Can't make-up my mind??

I've never seen an advantage that made $ sense on preservative.
That might change if I was as far north as you. It takes heat units to dry hay, and I get a lot more heat units.

john250":wdlzdprv said:
I've never seen an advantage that made $ sense on preservative.

I'm with you John. I can see using it on a volatile year with lots of rain (this year was kinda lousy up here), but quite frankly if you have your conditioning rollers set right, we get plenty fast dry down. Some of my alfafla dried down to 18% in 36 hours this year, although the majority took 48 hours.

And in overly dry conditions you can either bale at night, or simply reduce baler rotation speed and pick up ground speed. I don't think leaf loss is a big concern with newer hardcore belted balers, and even less so with closed chamber chain balers.

Rod

I don't use a preservative applicator myself but I do buy alfalfa for my dairy operation. Personally I really like they hay that has been treated with preservative because it can be baled at a higher moisture and makes for much better alfalfa. However, I really have no idea what it costs per bale, but I've always felt that there is no substitute for top quality hay.

Latest posts