prescriptions for antibiotics now

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
new law being or has been passed.
so i gotta git a vet to write me a prescription now...75$ for the vet to come out and wite me a ticket. and then where to go get it...from him or from tractor supply...or mail order it....so i gotta keep plenty on hand now..til it expires and then just buy more

wtf is wrong with our govt these days...too much drug abuse so they legislate me out of the pic to prevent the problem

genius

anyone heard anyhting bout this....unreal

gary

Sorry but this is not new.....

It has been under discussion for at least 25 years.

for the last five years sice the new antibiotic resistant diseases have popped up in people it has taken a greater focus.

The error is in blaming the livestock sector for misuse of antibiotics. no one blames the publice or the doctors for giving people antibiotics every time they contract a virus. (antibiotics do nothing against a viral infection).

People demand antibiotics every time their nose runs or little Johnny has the sniffles. Then they blame livestock producers for using antibiotics, when the antibiotics don't work on them any more.

Not to say, that there is not misuse of antibiotics in the livestock sector. Because there is.!!! When I was in the milk marketing game years ago, Antibiotics in the milk was a constant pain in something. It did not get better until we established a policy of you ruin a trailer load of milk, then you just bought it. Then, in those early years, to drive home the point we used to take the offending load to the farm the antibiotics came from and dump it there. Usually into the lagoon. proved the point that it could not be used for anything. Then when insurance started cancelling policies of repeat offenders, things improved pretty quickly.

ill look for the article..its not being discussed..it is required now to obtain a prescription..i could be wrong but i think they passed it

tom4018":2bdjo0nu said:
I wonder how it will affect medicated minerals with CTC?

We have to understand that two groups want all animal antibiotic use banned.

one group is the uninformed consumer which is a very large group that is subject to mass hysteria.

the other group is the organic purist within the livestock industry who will constantly be taking pot shots at the rest of the industry and providing fodder for the first group.

Agricultures worst enemy has always, and probably always will be, others in agriculture.

they promote growth by using them to keep the animal in top shape so its energys arent used for immunitys..only getting bigger..its huge in the chicken industry where if we grew kids like we grow chickens a 3 yr old would wiegh 350 lbs...constant feeding of antibio keeps the animal from having to burn energy fighting off disease

dieselbeef":nhdllh7f said:
they promote growth by using them to keep the animal in top shape so its energys arent used for immunitys..only getting bigger..its huge in the chicken industry where if we grew kids like we grow chickens a 3 yr old would wiegh 350 lbs...constant feeding of antibio keeps the animal from having to burn energy fighting off disease
Wonder how that is going to affect the big chicken producing companies?

thell git what they need. its all inhouse for them..im gonna take a beatin tho if i gotta call in for a prescription..and where the heck do i hafta go git it...even a reg pharmacy is 40 mi from here

dieselbeef":3ag6qqfc said:
thell git what they need. its all inhouse for them..im gonna take a beatin tho if i gotta call in for a prescription..and where the heck do i hafta go git it...even a reg pharmacy is 40 mi from here
Shouldn't be much different if any than it is now. Most of the drugs purchased from teh vet now also require prescription...he prescribes and he sells.....all others are purchased at the feed store or big box store....these are the ones that will be affected. You'll just have to buy them frm the vet now and probably pay double. :mad: All that is usually required is that you have a normal working relationship with the vet.

It is still not going to stop the misuse and over medicating. People who cheat will always be cheats and people without a conscience aren't going to grow one all of the sudden because of a law.

We used to get rabies vaccines and such from the feed store years back. That's been stopped for a long time. I remember Dad being ticked about such things years back and saying that some day tooth paste would require a prescription.

FOR RABIES YOU CAN STILL GET THE VACCINE AND GET THE PROTECTION......
i JUST DID MY HORSES LAST WEEK.

HOWEVER NO ONE WILL RECOGNIZE THE VACINATION STATUS IF YOU DO IT YOUR SELF. VET HOUSES LIKE JEFFERS CAN NOT SHIP IT TO QUITE A FEW STATES BECAUSE OF STATE LAWS.

i AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE STATUS RECOGNITION. i AM INTERESTED IN THE PROTECTION AND SAVING MONEY.

i DID ALL SPRING SHOTS FOR TWO HORSES AND TWO DONKEYS FOR ABOUT A HUNDRED BUCKS. HAD THE VET DO IT LAST YEAR AND SPENT 400.00.

I'm not sure that the atricle in the NY Times is accurate. I read something about the Antibiotic laws in the local paper last week; and when I read that article I believe it said it was a proposal or recommendation from the FDA. But maybe I misunderstood what I was reading, wouldn't be the first time.

pdfangus":fnqji2hh said:
FOR RABIES YOU CAN STILL GET THE VACCINE AND GET THE PROTECTION......
i JUST DID MY HORSES LAST WEEK.

HOWEVER NO ONE WILL RECOGNIZE THE VACINATION STATUS IF YOU DO IT YOUR SELF. VET HOUSES LIKE JEFFERS CAN NOT SHIP IT TO QUITE A FEW STATES BECAUSE OF STATE LAWS.

i AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE STATUS RECOGNITION. i AM INTERESTED IN THE PROTECTION AND SAVING MONEY.

i DID ALL SPRING SHOTS FOR TWO HORSES AND TWO DONKEYS FOR ABOUT A HUNDRED BUCKS. HAD THE VET DO IT LAST YEAR AND SPENT 400.00.
Jim none of the vets I know around here will even think about selling you a rabies shot for you to administer yourself on the farm. Gotta bring the animal to the clinic and let them do it.

cowmilker":35m6v2gs said:
I don't get how antibiotics promote growth.

The bacteria in cattle's rumen break down fiber into components called free fatty acids. There are 3 main fatty acids. They have varying degrees of energy stored on them. More carbon = more energy. Kinda like octane in gas. So if you can cause bacteria to produce more of the more potent kind, cattle will be more efficient- less work for more available energy. So how is that done? The rumen environment is changed to select for those bacteria that convert more stuff into longer chained carbon strings. The rumensin type products do just that. Less efficient bacterial populations are decreased, allowing for less competition of the others.

Our large animal vet has medications cheaper or as cheap than we can get otherwise because of how he purchases in bulk with some other partners. I don't know anything about Florida law, but your vet will likely just need to establish a relationship with you. If they are familiar with your farm and how you manage, they can give prescriptions for herd health without having to see every animal. How it works here anyway.

Sincce rabies is such a public health concern, there is a lot more regulations around it.

Latest posts