Premature/Brain Damaged Calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

darkwarrior0404

Reaction score
I just recently bought 2 calves off a dairy farmer, there holsteins, one is fine and doing well, the other is a very beautiful calf, but he has a hard time standing, and keeping his balance, at first we thought it was premature, because his hooves were soft, but they are normal now, and he has improved very little, he can stand for a while, but still has a hard time keeping balance, and hes very aggrivating to get him to take a bottle. His eyes sorta wonder around. Does anyone know what might cause this? He is a very good looking calf.

a selenium booster won't hurt and with young animals its so cheap and safe(if you don't overdose)-- just use it to make sure thats not the problem.

What exactly is a selenium booster? Me and dad havent been messing around with cattle but just a few years, and I haven't heard of that, nor have I seen a calf yet that is like this. Maybe know what could be the cause of this? Thanks for your help I'll tell dad what I've read so far.

You have to get selenium from the vet. Selenium is used to prevent/treat shite muscle disease. It's a disease that causes weakness in the large muscles.
My only other thought is a dummy calf that had a hard birth

dun

Could be brain damage. Watch to see if the eyes improve. May not have gotten enough oxygen to the brain during birth. As others already said selenium wouldn't hurt. Make sure you are feeding good quality milk replacer, not garbage.

Latest posts