Pregnant Wedding

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm going to be in the minority here I can tell, but here's my opinion:

Society changes. What used to be unacceptable (in this case childbirth out of wedlock) isn't such a big deal anymore to a large part of the population. Think about 50 or 75 years ago what used to be "normal" or "acceptable"...was it always the right thing? Probably not. I won't cite specific examples but I'm sure we can all think of a few.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal. Of all the bad things that can be done in the world, having a child before getting married then having nice wedding is pretty dang far down the list, IMO. My recommendation for what it's worth would be to just move along and focus on things that really are important.

Ok go ahead and roast me now.

My gripe is the enormous amount of time and money spent on princess ceremonies today....

a couple could take that money and have a pretty good start in a life together....

back in my day the families fixed the meals and the wedding was in the church with a reception in either a home or the fellowship hall of the church...men wore suits and the bridesmaids dresses were hopefully the same color...today they will spend ten grand on the dress and that is just the beginning...

I am always happy to see people who have brought a child into the world together have a real strong (hopefully lifelong) commitment to each other. To me, that's the important thing. I don't care what color they wear for their wedding, or, for that matter, whether they have a wedding.
Personally, I'm practical and wouldn't spend a ton on a wedding regardless of the circumstances. To me, it was always a little hypocritical to slam people who got pregnant out of wedlock. For most people, it could have just as easily been them. I think shaming the situation leads (even unintentionally) to a carry-over onto the child, who does not deserve that stigma.

I recently got ahold of a book on my family written by a 5th cousin. In it were 8-10 pages about my grandmothers life. Most people wouldn't notice but she married my grandfather in the summer of 1922 and gave birth to an uncle about 6 months later. I have seen pictures from their wedding. Nothing fancy but she was wearing white.

It doesn't affect me nor change my beliefs. Someone said it was better than abortion. I support that notion. Live and let live. I have my own skeletons in the closet.

fasttommy":3etnkhzt said:
I'm going to be in the minority here I can tell, but here's my opinion:

Society changes. What used to be unacceptable (in this case childbirth out of wedlock) isn't such a big deal anymore to a large part of the population. Think about 50 or 75 years ago what used to be "normal" or "acceptable"...was it always the right thing? Probably not. I won't cite specific examples but I'm sure we can all think of a few.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal. Of all the bad things that can be done in the world, having a child before getting married then having nice wedding is pretty dang far down the list, IMO. My recommendation for what it's worth would be to just move along and focus on things that really are important.

Ok go ahead and roast me now.
I guess it's better than waiting until you're 60 to get married and all your basterd kids are your bridal attendants and none have the same daddy or last name but mama got a pretty white dress. Such purity.

pdfangus":2siwubn4 said:
My gripe is the enormous amount of time and money spent on princess ceremonies today....

a couple could take that money and have a pretty good start in a life together....

back in my day the families fixed the meals and the wedding was in the church with a reception in either a home or the fellowship hall of the church...men wore suits and the bridesmaids dresses were hopefully the same color...today they will spend ten grand on the dress and that is just the beginning...

NO joke weddings are outrageous you could have a nice down payment on a nice house for the cost of these weddings.

I'm with you red angus. It seems nobody is embarrassed anymore. I know a lot of older people who made a huge effort all their life to "live right" as they called it and set a good example for others, but that seems to be slowly slipping away. The new idea is that if it isn't hurting anyone else, it's all good.

Along these same lines, I've noticed that sometimes in my area, a girl will get pregnant with no intention of marrying, and they will have a baby shower and be acting like it's the greatest thing on earth.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I never fully understood the accidental pregnancy thing, especially with people who have a little age on them. I know how conception works, so there is really no mystery. I have a cousin who is 51 and has never been married, but he has dated all his life, but he's never had any issues

My wife and I chose to wait 5 years after we married to have kids. One day her mother said she wished we would hurry up and have her some grandkids. She then looked at us and said, "I don't understand how you all keep from getting pregnant, I don't understand it." I asked her what she was puzzled about. I said, "Don't you know how the human body works? Do you need a sex 101 class?" Needless to say, she didn't care for that at all, but she got over it.

Seems like in the past, those that kept track of what everyone was doing and had to voice opinions were considered nosy busy bodies

dun":2d1rq6er said:
Seems like in the past, those that kept track of what everyone was doing and had to voice opinions were considered nosy busy bodies

Funny, I thought that was what they were known as, in the present day as well? :?

There day, money, life, and kid. No welfare don't bother me at all. But I'm 35 and glad and lucky never happened to me.

dun":b1zhj70y said:

That's true; however, I don't know if the term nosy busy body could even be a legitimate term anymore. There was a time when people tried to keep a few things private, or at least not flaunt everything, and the nosy ones had to make and effort to know other people's personal affairs. These days, its difficult to avoid it with people plastering their every move all over social media and openly celebrating everything.

herofan":1cxzt7kq said:
dun":1cxzt7kq said:

That's true; however, I don't know if the term nosy busy body could even be a legitimate term anymore. There was a time when people tried to keep a few things private, or at least not flaunt everything, and the nosy ones had to make and effort to know other people's personal affairs. These days, its difficult to avoid it with people plastering their every move all over social media and openly celebrating everything.
Kind of like the delete key for emails. You don;t have to dwell on it. Just skip over it and move on.

There's an old saying, " Most babies take 9 months, but the first one can come anytime".

It has always happened, but it wasn't flaunted like it is today. Part of this is due to the Federal Government. I was recently told by a young couple, " We want 4 kids and will get married after they are born because the Govt will pay all expenses for a single mom for her pregnancy, and she will also qualify for all the other freebies." These are a portion of the ones riding the wagon, not pulling it.

pdfangus":2jtiw15y said:

I was in my cousins wedding he and his wife spend well over 75k at their wedding and reception I was the best man they rented me a suite for 2 nights at the westin you know where that is in the westend. I wanted pancakes and eggs for bfast and he wouldn't hear of it made me get some salmon and other crap that I really didn't want said he didn't get a suite for his best man to eat waffle house food lol Personally I would have kept the $$$ and did something real small and put money in the bank but she wasn't expecting .

Bigfoot":v3sy2ry5 said:
red angus 2010":v3sy2ry5 said:
Hopefully, this won't get me banned but will most likely show how out of touch some will say I am. My wife is facebook friends with someone I will readily admit I don't like. Occasionally when lazy I will check on our friends by looking at my wife's page. This lady has posted wedding photos of her oldest son's "wedding". Whole nine yards, entire family with grandparents and her husband is holding what looks like a 6 -8, month old grandchild. The bride, of course, is wearing white. I will readily admit much to my shame I could just as easily have been in the same shoes (unplanned pregnancy). Here is what I don't get whatever happened to common sense, they made a mistake, just quietly get married and move on. Instead, we have the whole nine yards full blown wedding and comments about "what a wonderful day it was". Is no one embarrassed anymore today? If it happened to one of my kids I would still love them, encourage them to get married. help them to get started but we wouldn't act like nothing had happened. Does anyone today still care about what their name means in a community? I'm not talking about your nose up in the air pretending to be something you are not but the responsibility to uphold what generations before you have stood for.

I to will jump on the soon to be unpopular train with you. I see the same behaviors (and more). It seems that society no longer cares what anybody thinks.
I'm with y'all, stuff happens and it's great they are getting married but some traditions need to be honored.
That's part of what makes civilization.

herofan":ps9l6m52 said:
I'm with you red angus. It seems nobody is embarrassed anymore. I know a lot of older people who made a huge effort all their life to "live right" as they called it and set a good example for others, but that seems to be slowly slipping away. The new idea is that if it isn't hurting anyone else, it's all good.

Along these same lines, I've noticed that sometimes in my area, a girl will get pregnant with no intention of marrying, and they will have a baby shower and be acting like it's the greatest thing on earth.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I never fully understood the accidental pregnancy thing, especially with people who have a little age on them. I know how conception works, so there is really no mystery. I have a cousin who is 51 and has never been married, but he has dated all his life, but he's never had any issues

My wife and I chose to wait 5 years after we married to have kids. One day her mother said she wished we would hurry up and have her some grandkids. She then looked at us and said, "I don't understand how you all keep from getting pregnant, I don't understand it." I asked her what she was puzzled about. I said, "Don't you know how the human body works? Do you need a sex 101 class?" Needless to say, she didn't care for that at all, but she got over it.

Immaculate conception?