Pregnant heifer? Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

These are all pictures from about a month ago so she has grown a little and has changed alot as far as belly girth and udder size. I'll try and get some pics up soon. I'll also be posting quite a few pictures in teh begginers board just because I figured out an easy quick way to upload pictures.

If that was a month ago i would say she could still be about a month away, but it is very hard to tell thru here. and hard to tell on a heifer that is calving at her age.

Pictures never turn out good on cattle for me. I think it distorts thier looks a little bit. I might get a pic of her tomorrow. Now she actually has an udder instead of just teets. At the latest she will be due in July 17th. I think she is probably going to calve mid to late june just by watching her progress.

2013-05-22_13-09-22_864_zpsfdc494f4.jpg

2013-05-22_13-09-20_781_zps697c7ab4.jpg

2013-05-22_13-09-59_411_zpsa7a47259.jpg

2013-05-22_13-10-33_715_zps89ceb13a.jpg

2013-05-22_13-11-59_127_zps61047ba0.jpg

These are took from my phone so they aren't great. She also wouldn't stay still.

glacierridge":8txvvu6p said:
I hope she gets more bag before she has a calf.
In my experiences with pregnant yearlings is that some might don't have much bag, nor have much milk production.

As for the pictures, it appeared that she is a little loose...hopefully the calf isn't too big for her.

denvermartinfarms":1iiiixr5 said:
More bag would be good, but I have seen a lot of heifers fill out a week after calving, she will probably be fine.
But with the heifer being a 15 months old, you never know if she is capable to produce enough milk for her calf.

Taurus":862z417l said:
denvermartinfarms":862z417l said:
More bag would be good, but I have seen a lot of heifers fill out a week after calving, she will probably be fine.
But with the heifer being a 15 months old, you never know if she is capable to produce enough milk for her calf.
I left that out, I meant theses heifers that are too young. I have seen more that turned out ok than not.

denvermartinfarms":2t4lbyhj said:
Taurus":2t4lbyhj said:
denvermartinfarms":2t4lbyhj said:
I left that out, I meant theses heifers that are too young. I have seen more that turned out ok than not.
Like I said, I'd like to see more bag on her but I've seen the calves being starved to die or being stunted if they are still on the heifers. Had a yearling that calved few years ago, she ended up being stunted for having a calf nursing on her and her calf is way behind on the growth. Ended up culled the heifer and I sold the calf to a neighbor for a freezer beef. On other hand, I had a yearling that do a great job on her first calf, no problems at all but it could be her large frame and have some Holstein blood in her that saved her from these problems.

Just another update the heifer has made a complete udder from Saturday to today. She is really....uhh "relaxed" :oops: :D , and was acting a little funny so I put her in a lot by herself. Maybe she will calve soon so I can turn her back with the rest. The other field has way too many hiding spots, so I figured it would be easier if she was up near the house.

j&lfarms":1p2fdytd said:
Just another update the heifer has made a complete udder from Saturday to today. She is really....uhh "relaxed" :oops: :D , and was acting a little funny so I put her in a lot by herself. Maybe she will calve soon so I can turn her back with the rest. The other field has way too many hiding spots, so I figured it would be easier if she was up near the house.

Watch her condition when you turn her out with the rest. The other heifers her age will be growing and growing a calf inside. She'll have to do that in addition to raising a baby on the ground. She may need extra nutrition to do all that.

I don't have any new pics, however I have some pretty big news. She dropped her mucus plug about an hour ago. I noticed she was getting a little slimy this morning and when I got there she was way off by herself. I decided I would bring them all up to the front pasture so that I could watch her without her knowing I was. About lunch I checked her again and she had about 7 inches of slime hanging out of her. I checked her at 2 and she was still grazing but had lost the slime. I'm hoping she calves by dark or that means a mid night trip to the feild and maybe another at 3 am. Her teats are strutting, tail head is raised, and she is kicking at her stomach. I'd say I'm going to have a calf by Thursday afternoon. What do y'all think?

Latest posts