Preg checking

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with @Son of Butch. back in the old days we had a vet that would preg check at 30 days. he was always accurate within a few days of our earlier AI dates and when he said she had twins, she had twins. now our younger vets only use ultrasound. we preg check about 40 days after last AI date. usually close to our breeding dates. this past year they called a 54 day preg as open, 2 cows they called pregnant have not calved yet and are now overdue with no sign of uddering up. sale barn next week for those 2. right on one set of twins. two other that were called as having twins had 1 nice calf and two sets of twins that were not checked as twin pregs. not impressed for a herd of 28 cows.

Biopryn 30 days after last cow is AI'ed. For me, best combination of convenience, cost and accuracy. Vaccinate, tattoo and dna the calves at the same time as collecting blood to preg check the cows.
That the snap test? We used those last year couple show heifers

Explain the snap test please.
The snap test gets its name from little cassette for each test, sample is placed in the well and when it runs up the paper as far as it is supposed to you press down with your thumb and it goes "snap" and something inside mixes then you wait a couple of minutes and then read the results via some dots. I have only used the heartworm antigen snap test in dogs and that is a long time ago now so may not be an accurate description but I think it gives you the gist of how they work Kenny.

Ken

I was hunting in Montana south of Dillon on a huge cattle and sheep ranch one time and 550 cows were ran through the chute and preg checked before lunch. I was amazed.
Depending on how many other things are being done to the cow at the same time that seems plausible. We like to keep it above 100 per hour. Could be much faster but after a cow is deemed bred then the crew has to vaccinate and do the pour on. That can more than double the time the cow is in the chute. Some of the cows are tested before cow has her head in the headcatch.

The earlier the better - with palpation, ultrasound follow up on positive palpation - nice thing on ultrasound follow up shows twins and sometimes gender. Our vet does a lot of dairies and relays on palpation-his new vets are not allowed to use ultrasound until they can palpate. This system works for us and our processing ie. when they get AI'd and leave for pasture. Bull covers on pasture and 99% called at 30-45 days stick so it helps us stock pasture a little heavier with the one bull.

Latest posts