Predators

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
I did a search back and found alot of articles. But has anyone got any finacial return from predator loss. Second has anyone goten pemits to shoot some of these "protected" vermin.

Which protected vermin are we discussing?

I've never gotten any financial return from killing any coyotes if that's what you're talking about. Their hides used to bring a little but not worth skinning now.

Oh, and talk to your game warden. I'm sure he can tell you what you need to hunt them down.

Scotty":18gmxkjl said:
I did a search back and found alot of articles. But has anyone got any finacial return from predator loss. Second has anyone goten pemits to shoot some of these "protected" vermin.

We haven't. To the best of my knowledge the only predator that is protected here is the Mountain Lion. I'm not aware of any rancher/ordinary individual who has been successful in obtaining a permit to shoot them, either.

Yotes have never bother me. They eat rats and mice so I figure that is good. I am not big into turkey hunting so I don't much care when I hear them running the turkeys in the river bottom.

Hogs on the other hand have done some serious fence and pasture wrecking. I don't have exact numbers but they have bent T-Posts over and ripped up net wire. If they want into your hay cow panel won't stop them. They will get through cow panel and destroy it. I have lost hay, planted vegetation,fence, and cow panel to hogs.

At my age it's just a load of #4 buck off the back porch into the night. Eyes to old to focus on both sights at the same time anymore. If the sheriff stops by we'll just tell him that we heard the reports too...up the canyon over the hill.
Haven't heard of anyone buying pelts around here for a long time. Dmc

backhoeboogie":3r9zo0k2 said:
Yotes have never bother me. They eat rats and mice so I figure that is good. I am not big into turkey hunting so I don't much care when I hear them running the turkeys in the river bottom.

Hogs on the other hand have done some serious fence and pasture wrecking. I don't have exact numbers but they have bent T-Posts over and ripped up net wire. If they want into your hay cow panel won't stop them. They will get through cow panel and destroy it. I have lost hay, planted vegetation,fence, and cow panel to hogs.
backhoe are those hogs native to your part of the country ;or did someone bring them in

carl

Carlos D.":1wzc9hmw said:
backhoe are those hogs native to your part of the country ;or did someone bring them in

carl

They are feral. Escaped hogs now breeding and living in the wild.

warpaint":2vvp6sab said:

I've never gotten any financial return from killing any coyotes if that's what you're talking about. Their hides used to bring a little but not worth skinning now.

Oh, and talk to your game warden. I'm sure he can tell you what you need to hunt them down.

Wolves (none in my area), Mexican Vultures. Game warden said he could shoot them. We have one warden and he patroles several counties.

Scotty":1epta0co said:
warpaint":1epta0co said:

Wolves (none in my area), Mexican Vultures. Game warden said he could shoot them. We have one warden and he patroles several counties.

I can tell you how to get rid of the black devils just not on here.

Caustic Burno":14a46pb9 said:
Scotty":14a46pb9 said:
Mexican Vultures. Game warden said he could shoot them. We have one warden and he patroles several counties.

Are these the "buzzards" that will gouge the eyes of calves/lambs/goats if there is nothing else around? They are often mistaken for turkey buzzards but their heads are black. If so, I recently heard of a guy losing some calves to them over on Chalk Mountain.

backhoeboogie":lzz15xpp said:
Caustic Burno":lzz15xpp said:
Scotty":lzz15xpp said:
Mexican Vultures. Game warden said he could shoot them. We have one warden and he patroles several counties.

Are these the "buzzards" that will gouge the eyes of calves/lambs/goats if there is nothing else around? They are often mistaken for turkey buzzards but their heads are black. If so, I recently heard of a guy losing some calves to them over on Chalk Mountain.
The ones with the big white wings.

backhoeboogie":2w80nbtr said:

I hate those wretched, awful things. They'll drive a mother cow insane just trying to keep them away from her new baby. And when she finally wears out, those demons will go for the baby. I wish I weren't such a lousy shot...I'd peg one every time I saw it. I tried to run over some once. They were feasting on a calf that I had called the dead truck on. All I wound up doing was almost turning over my polaris...and scaring me witless...another reason I hate those miserable, hateful creatures.

Alice

the ones w/red,featherless head is a turkey vulture/ buzzard--black head,black vulture/buzzard---white head w/brown on top and white spots on wings,carah carah/Mexican eagle

Scotty - your game warden can legally shoot "protected ones" if they are bothering your livestock.

And, check with your sherriff's office for bounties on yotes. Ours pays $15 for a pair of ears.

Dusty Britches":1vevqutw said:
Scotty - your game warden can legally shoot "protected ones" if they are bothering your livestock.

And, check with your sherriff's office for bounties on yotes. Ours pays $15 for a pair of ears.

Thanks. My big deal is I used to see one here and one there. Now it is 5 here and ten there.

Last week a friend of mine in Utah said the fur buyers are taing all the coyote pelts the can get as long as there is only a single bullet hole

dun

Dusty Britches":v4in0fs5 said:

Thats right Scotty he can and he will sit out there and guard your place from Black Vultures. How funny he is making no revenue for the state watching your place shooting buzzards.
His job is to create revenue not to protect them cows. Now you shoot one of them buzzards and let him know and he will be out to place to collect some revenue.

He lives two miles down the road. I see him drive by daily. Always a lookin my way. HUM?