Prairie Strips

Help Support CattleToday:

Article was very interesting. I don't know much about the prairie, so I can't weigh in.

I do that too, except I retired my hoes, and just let the 'prairie' grow up in amongst my beans, corn, and squash.
Some accuse me of simply being lazy, but now I can print that out and show them I'm just being a good steward of the land and water. Next Spring, I think I'll take it the next natural step forward, just lightly disc and cast my seed out willy nilly among the emerging weeds and nut grass right before the heavenly bounty of rain and give the crows and cut worms something to eat besides my corn and tomatoes. Might even sell my sprayers, and let the pastures erupt in natural beauty, like the property adjoining me--my sister's 41 ac Chinese Tallow Plantation, thus further ensuring that everyone down river gets their fair share of free tallow seed. Saving San Jacinto Bay and the GOM one particle of silt at a time.
8) ;-)

"Berger's farm is an ocean of green soy and corn that undulate like waves when winds blow. Its profit margin is high."

Sounds like I need to get into crop farming.

No offense intended to Hurly but- Ahh yes, another wacko liberal worship the earth wet dream funded by the tax payers. I nearly threw up trying to read through that tripe, but of course its from the wapo, what else should I have expected. And I should point out that in Texas we practice that same type of farming strategy, only we call it a "Deer hunting lease"

I suppose with 250 bushel corn land they have out there they can make more profit, thats over almost twice what we can pull, and they don't have DC and NY folks driving up land prices.

They do not mention that much of the topsoil lost came from tillage, not just erosion. I am not a carbon-phobe but folks have made the point that the CO2 levels have tracked acreage tilled and loss of carbon from soil.

Gee, we always just called those "filter strips". The concept and practice has been around for years

dave_shelby":qbr2f5dn said:
Use your head not your estrogen.
Ha! Just trying to relate to you Davetta. Yes, we should all fear the carbon. You can stop exhaling anytime :cowboy:

Latest posts