Power of the past

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
It was great weather for "Power of the past" tractor show in Ottawa,KS over the weekend. Tons of tractors there. I snapped this picture as I was loading headed home. B&G

I love antique tractors. I shut myself off at 1. I have a 52 8n. Mostly because it doesn't tie up much floor space in my shop. Our county plow day is Saturday. We have a rodeo, so I won't be there. It's killing me.---------Nice tractors BTW.

I love the old iron myself! Over the years I have restored around a dozen or so old tractors and am currently working on a '51 Farmall M. Those are some nice tractors B&G!

talltimber":1fb6ewhu said:
What's the little tractor? I don't think I 've ever seen one like that. Very cool.

That's a 1941 John Deere L. They were used in truck farming back then. Pretty darn rare especially in the Midwest. B&G

We rented a tobacco barn when I was a kid that had an L just sitting in it. I'm sure the engine had probably seized up in it, but the skin was real straight. That's the only one I ever remember seeing out in the wild. The rest were at a tractor show.

Heck, I use my Fordson Dexta daily. It is not "restored" meaning it has all its parts but needs paint and body work to make it show ready. Just yesterday we split it and put a new clutch in. Gosh its nice to have something you can actually work on. If I had a front end loader for it It would be about perfect. I also have a JD model M that I need to clean up to sell. That is a good little tractor but needs a live PTO clutch for bush hogging,

I find a lot of pre-1960 stuff is just too old to be really useful.. many lack hydraulics, power steering, etc that are just essential these days for anything other than towing a trailer. I like to look at the older stuff though, it was nicely made.

The reason I like the older stuff is that I can work on them myself. The Dexta is easy and parts are available from numerous sources. There is one place, Cross Creek Tractor in Cullman, Alabama :) that parts out all kinds of old tractors and has a source of new parts for most of what you need. My Dexta has the hydraulics for what I need and being fairly small I don't need power steering. With the split brakes I can turn it in a dime anyway. Besides, I have about $2000.00 tied up in the whole thing, Better than a monthly payment for more than I need.
But if I won the lottery I would buy something newer, say a 70's model Ford.
I know I am a special case because I have a small place and just use it for feeding hay, bush hogging, scraping and loading, spreading manure, disking and plowing. I don't bale hay with it, and don't plow multiple thousand acres, so the 36 hp works well enough for now at least.

Latest posts