POTUS said

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Because while there is no law or set of laws that can prevent every senseless act of violence completely, no piece of legislation that will prevent every tragedy, every act of evil, if there's even one thing we can do to reduce this violence, if there's even one life that can be saved, then we've got an obligation to try,

Had we only headed these words then may Malcom X's grandson Malcolm Shabazz would still be alive.

Maybe after burning his grandmother's apartment that resulted in the death of Malcom X's widow he should have been given a hair more time than four years.

Maybe after he was again convicted of armed robbery and assault he should have been given more time in jail.

But nobody listens to the wisdom of the Messiah and this poor innocent young man is dead because of it. Folks, we have an obligation to stop these senseless killings don't you think?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... ZGlI9LD_IU

Obligation to try only means when you take rights away from ordinary law abiding citizens. Courts and legislation can only make laws and enforce laws. They cant make someone obey the law. Therefore more laws will never fix a known problem. If they dont care about the current laws, they certainly wont care about new laws.

While Im not against longer sentencing, in my opinion it wont fix the problem, it will just delay it. Maybe a delay is better than nothing, I dont know.

I just can't help but wonder if our crime stats wouldn't be much lower if it wasn't such a common occurrence to hear, "he's been arrested again", when someone is reading the paper. Four years for burning someone to death?! That's a real deterrent to crime.

Jogeephus":32f6rvw4 said:
I just can't help but wonder if our crime stats wouldn't be much lower if it wasn't such a common occurrence to hear, "he's been arrested again", when someone is reading the paper. Four years for burning someone to death?! That's a real deterrent to crime.
I think it would be much lower if 20 years meant 20 years and not 6. Not a big fan of parole.

There are examples of this same thing every day, including the release of those who have claimed mental illness and committed felony crimes. I wonder if anything would be any different if we treated crimes like they do in the Middle East

I'm not for torture or cutting hands off but I do think one should serve the sentence they are given and I also believe you can prove to society that you have no place in society or on this earth.

My son went to school with a boy who is now a jailer and he was talking about some things the other night that really had me scratching my head.

The largest problem of the penal system is the law itself. Appeals, medical care, lawsuits.
Make it cheap to house inmates. Then remove parole. Then make their lives he'll and remove all but the necessary medical care.
Basically make prison a deterrent again. Not 3 hots and a cot

You sound like my son's friend who works at the jail. It sounded as though he was a bit upset with the system. Each prisoner has their own television, a cell phone, 3 squares per day and they get to play outside for a couple of hours each day. He said several even try to get put back in so they can get medical stuff paid for by the government. Some deterrent.

hooknline":88jh7qsg said:
The largest problem of the penal system is the law itself. Appeals, medical care, lawsuits.
Make it cheap to house inmates. Then remove parole. Then make their lives he'll and remove all but the necessary medical care.
Basically make prison a deterrent again. Not 3 hots and a cot
I think a lot of them could have been straightened out when they were first caught in such anti-social behavior. A good caning could have made them realize that their actions carried real consequencies.

Maybe would have helped them and society as well. Everybody would be better off.
Just my barbaric and non- PC opinion.

Jogeephus":35pzkiyt said:
You sound like my son's friend who works at the jail. It sounded as though he was a bit upset with the system. Each prisoner has their own television, a cell phone, 3 squares per day and they get to play outside for a couple of hours each day. He said several even try to get put back in so they can get medical stuff paid for by the government. Some deterrent.

My oldest work's for the Texas Dept. Criminal Justice.
It is unreal the right's of the inmate.
Need to go back to chopping cotton with a high rider guard with a rifle, shotgun and a blacksnake whip.
Inmate dies working in the field bury him at the end of the day when the work is done.

Our system got screwed up by Judge William Wayne Justice (Irony). I hope it is real hot where he is at.

I think this subject is funny.

Both parties elect morons to represent us and then complain about what they do to us. Follow the money all the way to the politicians. Our expensive jails are full of Marijuana smokers so there's no room for the killers and child molesters. The killers get out before the dope smokers.

As long as we have only two parties working together, we should expect the same results. Neither wants what is best for us. Each only wants what is best for themselves.

Latest posts