potatoes and onion

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What is the best fertilizer to use on each of those ? so far i have been using 10-10-10 on everything what do some of yall use on yours ?

I gotta check and see if they have some of that at southern states. I may check it out and see how that does. I am happy with 10-10-10 but I just wanted to see if there was a specific fertilizer that is more beneficial to potatoes and onions.

skyhightree1":17sxjzzq said:
I gotta check and see if they have some of that at southern states. I may check it out and see how that does. I am happy with 10-10-10 but I just wanted to see if there was a specific fertilizer that is more beneficial to potatoes and onions.

Personally we never add fertilizer to the garden - just some well composted cow or sheep schitte - has worked wonders for years here.

Potatoes and onions chopped up - wrapped in tin foil - soaked in butter and too much salt, pepper and garlic - piled on steak.

Making me hungry!

Best to you

Bez

skyhightree1":1pnu5jj8 said:

lots of folks use trip 10. i just always liked the results of trip 13 cause I never have done soil test on garden spots and by no means an expert.

snake67":2m0iv0tp said:
skyhightree1":2m0iv0tp said:

Personally we never add fertilizer to the garden - just some well composted cow or sheep schitte - has worked wonders for years here.

Potatoes and onions chopped up - wrapped in tin foil - soaked in butter and too much salt, pepper and garlic - piled on steak.

Making me hungry!

Best to you

Bez

Bez, While I agree with your recipe. New potatoes should have the skins washed off as soon as there dug boiled until tender alittle salt alot of pepper then about a pint of milk with 6 tsp flour added. simmer until it thickens. real corn bread, biscuits or plain ole light bread.

ok both of yall are making me hungry lol.... Bez I wish I had some manure to disc in before I planted but I don't have an area that makes it easy to gather it. I definately am not gonna chase cow chips with a wheel barrow lol

M5farm":36n5qbj2 said:
snake67":36n5qbj2 said:
skyhightree1":36n5qbj2 said:

Making me hungry!

Best to you

Bez

Bez, While I agree with your recipe. New potatoes should have the skins washed off as soon as there dug boiled until tender alittle salt alot of pepper then about a pint of milk with 6 tsp flour added. simmer until it thickens. real corn bread, biscuits or plain ole light bread.

New potatoes?

Gag me with a spoon - you will laugh but they taste like soap to me.

Give me the old fashioned Yukon or Hutterite Purple any day of the week!

Cheers

Bez

skyhightree1":gtm7yrms said:
ok both of yall are making me hungry lol.... Bez I wish I had some manure to disc in before I planted but I don't have an area that makes it easy to gather it. I definately am not gonna chase cow chips with a wheel barrow lol

Go grab some of those PC cow diapers and use that to collect the required amount! LOL

Cheers

Bez

snake67":83e3e2pf said:
skyhightree1":83e3e2pf said:

Go grab some of those PC cow diapers and use that to collect the required amount! LOL

Cheers

Bez

LOL I tried to get them but they were fresh out guess i will follow the cows around with a wheel barrow :lol:

one quick tale of what happened to me two years ago....

I have a few cows and a few equines.

I buy my hay....horse hay from one guy and round bales from a couple others.

Two years ago I put manure on my garden during the winter...did not record what manure I put where....

all my tomaotes and peppers died...replanted and they died too....finally figured out I had herbicied residue from the hay where the grower had sprayed the hay for weeds. Probably one of the newer pasture products....
these things will pass harmlessly (we think) throgh the animal and the residue will remain in the manure even when composted and will inhibit your garden plants.

but I don't know if it was from the horse manure or from the cow manure.

So i chalked it up to experience and this year I bought a bag of 10-10-10 for my garden for the first time in years....

last year the drought got everything...only had a few tomaotes for the table....

I really missed not having any tomaotes these last two years......

Yes you gotta be careful with animal manure and the chemicals
I love tomatoes I normally while baling or working in the field get a nice ripe tomato off the vine put it on the tractor with me with a loaf of bread and some mayo and some bacon i cooked earlier and put in cooler and keep it there and make myself fresh tomato sandwiches for lunch.. .I love them. I love them so much I planted 3 flats of them lol

I clean up the manure around the hay rings (of course it is heavily mixed with hay) and pile it in a big pile to compost. When it turns black and soil-like I put one big tractor scoop on the garden and till it in good. Everything grows big and fast..........downside is so do the weeds and it keeps me busy working the weeds out.

Latest posts