potato time

Help Support CattleToday:

coolwater

Reaction score
well is everyone ready to plant their taters?with the lack of rain in my part of texas i had some tough ground[new ground]to disc.thought id never get it broke up.

Not us, we would have to dig threw a foot of snow let alone handle these -10 Celcius weather.

It is neat to knwo that so many things are different from one part of the world to the next. Our planting season starts in May or sometimes June. A Few months yet.

Melissa

We don;t grow spuds around here, too hard to separate them from the rocks.

dun

maplelanefarms_ont":3dqkxgsr said:
Not us, we would have to dig threw a foot of snow let alone handle these -10 Celcius weather.

It is neat to knwo that so many things are different from one part of the world to the next. Our planting season starts in May or sometimes June. A Few months yet.

Melissa

Still cold down east is it? We're having 5 Celsius today, lately that is cool. Our snow is almost all melted. I even heard a gopher the other day. :shock: We never plant anything until after May long weekend. Most times we end up with a lot of snow and cold that weekend.

I'm planting potatoes, onions, broccoli, and COLLARDS this weekend. Corn will have to wait til March 1st. Peas and maters April 1st.

The old timers...the boys older than me, say ya have to wait till the snow is off Mica Peak before you can plant. Besides the ground is still frozen in spots, though it's about ten degrees above normal.
Thinking about trying the Yukon Gold this year.
DMc

C'mon guys, everybody knows you plant taters on St Patty's day!! That's not for another 2 months almost. I'm hopin to have a real lucky St. Pats day, that's when my first heifer is scheduled to calve.

El_Putzo":btbv5258 said:
C'mon guys, everybody knows you plant taters on St Patty's day!! That's not for another 2 months almost. I'm hopin to have a real lucky St. Pats day, that's when my first heifer is scheduled to calve.
No you don't - you plant them on Good Friday. :D

Farmhand":29xdlr66 said:
El_Putzo":29xdlr66 said:
No you don't - you plant them on Good Friday. :D

We always planted our taters on saint paddy's day, and dug them on the 4th of July! We always planted beans,etc. on Good Friday! ;-) :cboy:

SimmAngus":395qmt10 said:
Yup Yup Yup.... Good Friday, Taters in the ground... the way it is and the way it will always be!
around here we try to get them in the ground on valentines day but i watch the moon.i plant as close to valinetines day as long as the moons right

MikeC":1tt7lzo7 said:
I'm planting potatoes, onions, broccoli, and COLLARDS this weekend. Corn will have to wait til March 1st. Peas and maters April 1st.

Mike I think you are about 2 weeks early on your taters. the rest should already be in . I have been eating collards all winter and still growing strong. Stop by and pick you a mess.
Field corn on March first. Sweet corn tword the end of march.

I guess you could go ahead and cutt your taters and let stand in dark place in lime for a week or two before planting.

cypressfarms":20vjqxcx said:
mitchwi":20vjqxcx said:
These southern growing seasons are killing me :shock: :D

Growing seasons? I thought there was only one season; grow? ;-)

Heck someone's posting pics of green (rye) grass turning his heifers out to eat.... anothers talking about planting.....

and here it is January 27th in Wisconsin and the temp is reading 45 degrees, this is WWAAAYYYY to early in the year for me to get spring fever....but I guess you southerners have never had that disease....let me tell you it is one of the worst things to have, and without a doubt it comes every year without fail :shock: ;-)

Latest posts