pot belley calfs with scours

Help Support CattleToday:

danfreds

Reaction score
I have about four six week old calfs on their mothers that are eating ok but have scours and pot belly and just are not doing well did not worm this spring didnt know if it could be worms any advice

It's possible. Why would you skip worming? I would start with worming the mommas and treating the calves for scours if needed. You can also take a fecal sample to the vet for testing, but you can almost guarantee it is positive for something since they were not protected. Whether or not that is the cause of what you are seeing, who knows? But I would start there. Keep an eye on those little guys, they can get so sick so fast with scours. Good Luck to you.

Why would you not worm your calves? Yes, worms can cause potbellies, and they can also cause scours.

wormy is what came to mind when i read the subject of this post. deworming sure wont hurt anything.

danfreds":6bejk6p6 said:
I have about four six week old calfs on their mothers that are eating ok but have scours and pot belly and just are not doing well did not worm this spring didnt know if it could be worms any advice

deworm them! if they have scours then you need to make sure they stay hydrated (give electrolytes or gatorade). treat them for scours as well.

Gotta agree with the rest of them.

Normally, healthy, non wormy calves, aren't gonna scour at 4 weeks...especially if they are nursing their mamas.

Worm 'em... :)

Alice

Here in Ohio the pastures are so poor that those cows would have to be getting supplimental feed in order to feed those calves.When grass gets this dry what little is there has very little feed value.Worming has already been mentioned.Possibly some creep feed would help.

3rdgeneration farmer":svclzgq1 said:
Antibiotics for the calves wont hurt either.

Wouldn't advise it. The only thing that random willy nilly treating ever accomplished is creating bacterial resistance to the antibiotics, and then when you need antibiotics, they won't work.

Latest posts