Post locked

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Now why in the world would "letter to Eric Holder" get locked????? I didn't read anything in the post that was nasty - simply the truth. Mr. mod, why did you lock it?

I'm not the mod, but as the mod 1 posted an explanation of why threads great locked a while back. Someone might have flagged it and requested it get locked or deleted, someone may have posted something bad enough their post was deleted and the thread was locked or it was breaking the sites rules and/or on slippery slope headed downhill fast.

The last posts that I deleted and the "slippery slope".
It wasn't deleted just locked because it was caught before it got out of hand, i.e. "slippery slope"

I missed the thread in question, so I just went looking for it and found it on page 3. This site is no different than any other site with a goal is to maintain a vanilla PC environment.

It is or should be well known to everyone here that if you have strong opinions on certain " off limits" topics, it is a waste of your time and the mods to post about them at this site. The clearly stated site rules have always been right up front about that.

If you have a political or other potentially controversial issue you want to discuss, the management here does provide an avenue for that at ranchers. I give the mods here extra credit for trying to follow site rules as best they can, and often even make the effort to explain why they locked a thread. Lots of sites wouldn't or only very rarely do that.

I'm sure it is frustrating and not easy for mods either at times to zap a potentially promising discussion, just because it is their duty. We are a nation of laws, and all men (and women) are equal under the law. To be good citizens we must follow the law here, or go elsewhere.

I find myself spending more and more time at the Bash because I do enjoy a good discussion on issues facing our nation and way of life that are taboo for discussion here. While the guys who hang out at the Bash can be a little rough around the edges at times, I don't know of any potentially controversial subject that would be off limits for discussion there. Very few threads there ever get locked or go poof.

My :2cents: and worth what you paid. Now I will step down from my soapbox :tiphat:

John SD":7d2u63uq said:
I missed the thread in question, so I just went looking for it and found it on page 3. This site is no different than any other site with a goal is to maintain a vanilla PC environment.

It is or should be well known to everyone here that if you have strong opinions on certain " off limits" topics, it is a waste of your time and the mods to post about them at this site. The clearly stated site rules have always been right up front about that.

If you have a political or other potentially controversial issue you want to discuss, the management here does provide an avenue for that at ranchers. I give the mods here extra credit for trying to follow site rules as best they can, and often even make the effort to explain why they locked a thread. Lots of sites wouldn't or only very rarely do that.

I'm sure it is frustrating and not easy for mods either at times to zap a potentially promising discussion, just because it is their duty. We are a nation of laws, and all men (and women) are equal under the law. To be good citizens we must follow the law here, or go elsewhere.

I find myself spending more and more time at the Bash because I do enjoy a good discussion on issues facing our nation and way of life that are taboo for discussion here. While the guys who hang out at the Bash can be a little rough around the edges at times, I don't know of any potentially controversial subject that would be off limits for discussion there. Very few threads there ever get locked or go poof.

My :2cents: and worth what you paid. Now I will step down from my soapbox :tiphat:

Well said! I have tried to write the same things here about a gajillion times. Take it to Ranchers, you will find a healthy environment of folks who want to discuss just about anything, and they can, on that site.

This site is no different than any other site with a goal is to maintain a vanilla PC environment.

An odd analogy, considering the statement itself is nowhere near being "PC". Vanilla comes as a dark liquid, added for taste, but the product it is used on is almost always dyed an artificial white or ivory color. Vanilla ice cream, vanilla cake icing, vanilla pudding.

I foresee the day, long after I am dust, (but not THAT long) when America's towns and cities will eventually subscribe to the same protocol for the spoken word, even to mark off small areas with broad yellow lines painted on the pavement, and only within those borders will "free" speech be allowed, as raucous crowds line the outside and hurl politically correct epithets and catcalls at those inside. Not terribly long after that, some future historian will try to answer "How did we ever get like this?" and he will likely come to the conclusion that it all started with and related to statements such as the one quoted above. This of course, will be quite a while after long lived historical documents have been purged of such (seemingly) timeless words as the one below. The purge won't be immediate of course--baby steps always come first.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their [redacted according to PC doctrine] with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

greybeard":18kf9twy said:
This site is no different than any other site with a goal is to maintain a vanilla PC environment.

An odd analogy, considering the statement itself is nowhere near being "PC". Vanilla comes as a dark liquid, added for taste, but the product it is used on is almost always dyed an artificial white or ivory color. Vanilla ice cream, vanilla cake icing, vanilla pudding.

The contested statement quoted above is from me. I offer this link in support of my statement. My point stands, and I have no further comment in this thread :tiphat:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39359

Maybe there was something else posted from another member that was political or objectionable to folks but the "letter" was not political. While I agree Mr. Holders actions while in office were politically motivated, the letter from the FBI agent was not, or at least not IMO.

Latest posts