Porter Wagoner

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS

Reaction score
Porter Wagoner, the rhinestone-clad Grand Ole Opry star died Sunday. He was 80. He was one of my favorites. He sang and played real country music, not that crap you hear today.

ROCKSPRINGS":j1dg5ww6 said:
He sang and played real country music, not that crap you hear today.

Rock, He was also a song writer. He wrote some really good ones made famous by others. I'm pretty sure "Green, Green, Grasss of Home" was one of them.

We used to watch his show on Saturday night on channel 11.

Lammie":1cgjbv0k said:

Can't remember, so I'll ask. Was roller derby on Channel 11 just before or just after the Porter? :lol: :lol:

backhoeboogie":3txiyz6l said:
ROCKSPRINGS":3txiyz6l said:

Rock, He was also a song writer. He wrote some really good ones made famous by others.
  • I'm pretty sure "Green, Green, Grasss of Home" was one of them.
negatory backhoe.... our own PAINT ROCK VALLEY's curley putman wrote that little diddy along with george jones HE STOPPED LOVING HER TODAY and some others. gonna miss ol' porter though.. always liked watching his show as a kid

ALACOWMAN":25eopvme said:
backhoeboogie":25eopvme said:
ROCKSPRINGS":25eopvme said:

Rock, He was also a song writer. He wrote some really good ones made famous by others.
negatory backhoe.... our own PAINT ROCK VALLEY's curley putman wrote that little diddy along with george jones HE STOPPED LOVING HER TODAY and some others. gonna miss ol' porter though.. always liked watching his show as a kid

Probably a good thing I didn't bet on that one :lol:

backhoeboogie":1bfdqg6j said:
Lammie":1bfdqg6j said:

Can't remember, so I'll ask. Was roller derby on Channel 11 just before or just after the Porter? :lol: :lol:

That was before my time. I do remember that if I stayed up late enough I could watch wrestlin' from the Sportatorium. Love those Von Eric's!

Lammie":3i38uxh9 said:
backhoeboogie":3i38uxh9 said:
Lammie":3i38uxh9 said:

That was before my time. I do remember that if I stayed up late enough I could watch wrestlin' from the Sportatorium. Love those Von Eric's!

Channel 11 used to be the redneck channel of choice. Momma didn't like me watching roller derby.

backhoeboogie":2hz4kwr6 said:
Lammie":2hz4kwr6 said:
backhoeboogie":2hz4kwr6 said:
Lammie":2hz4kwr6 said:

Channel 11 used to be the redneck channel of choice. Momma didn't like me watching roller derby.

Here's my family's idea of a good time on a Saturday night:

We'd send my sister to Massey's (mom and pop store on 377), with the empty pop bottles and we'd all get the soda we wanted, (usually the only soda we got all week), then we would settle down to watch country music shows. Buck Owens, The Waylin Brothers, Porter Wagoner, Grand Old Opry, Marty Robbins... Then raslin' came on and if I could make it up that late I watched it. But I usually didn't make it up that late.

In the summertime, we had a watermelon out of the garden to eat outside. In the winter, we all stood around the Dearborn heater.

Man, we were a happy bunch, too. Maybe we were rednecks, but we sure knew how to have a good time of a Saturday night.

backhoeboogie":27hyakud said:
ALACOWMAN":27hyakud said:
backhoeboogie":27hyakud said:
ROCKSPRINGS":27hyakud said:

Probably a good thing I didn't bet on that one :lol:
if you ever drove through PRV you'd see where he got the inspiration for that song. it was the most beautiful place in alabama at one time before the city folks decided to move in and destroy the country side :x

I remember watching his show when I was a kid.

Weird thing is last Sunday the wife was dressed for a dog show and had a sparkly blouse on. I called her Porter Wagoner all day. Feel kind of bad now.

Porter was on at 5 or 6 pm on Saturday around here. Hee-Haw at 7 pm.
Porter's shows are in re-run on the RFD Channel. Looking at them now they are corny as can be! Spec Rhodes (Rodes?) the comedian performed with a blacked out tooth and an outfit which was at least as weird as Porter's spangles.
Two songs from Porter. A comedy routine. A song from Dolly. (Pretty Miss Dolly Parton, he introduced her.) And a song or maybe two from a guest. It was a major show, so the guests were pretty good.
Ahh, those days are gone. Godspeed to you, Porter. I was always entertained. :lol:

Porter Wagoner, ain't he the one that discovered Dolly Pardon between the sheets and brought her to fame and fortune?

curtis":3gvv94un said:
Porter Wagoner, ain't he the one that discovered Dolly Pardon between the sheets and brought her to fame and fortune?
Thats a tacky way of putting it ,but yes he did discover her. I remember the night she was first introduced on his show. I remember hearing my uncles saying WOW look at those .......
I loved ol Porters music.

She bought "those" after being on the show for a while.
Don't care,she could/can sing,and am gonna miss Porter a lot..

peg4x4":7bvx1uzk said:
She bought "those" after being on the show for a while.
Don't care,she could/can sing,and am gonna miss Porter a lot..

I'm with you there Peg, Dolly is one of my favourites. Can't say as I've heard of Porter.

bigbull338":ka7w6205 said:
alot of the songs dolly wrote was to porter.ill always love you comes to my mind.

I always thought she wrote that one for Burt Reynolds after a film they made together. Best Little Whore House in Texas. She once said in an interview with Michael Parkinson, that they fell in love but they had just married different people and it could never go anywhere, so she wrote this song, and then sung it. The best version around IMO. I may be wrong though.

Latest posts