Portable Step for Stock Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Does anyone use a step to load cattle in trailer?
We sold our calves and they went right to the trailer but would not jump in we had to lift each one.
Then we loaded a 1100 pound bull and he had to jump in also.
So I want to make a step so they can walk in. Thanks Jeff

Bumper pull or Gooseneck. If bp and hitch insert is low may can turn it over and raise the front slightly or even several inches. Higher front generally lowers back. Don't want it to drag however. Even GN may be adjusted to raise front and lower back. Maybe. Good luck.

Bumper pull or Gooseneck. If bp and hitch insert is low may can turn it over and raise the front slightly or even several inches. Higher front generally lowers back. Don't want it to drag however. Even GN may be adjusted to raise front and lower back. Maybe. Good luck.

Aaron":34zc8x6r said:
If your loading at the same spots, a little gravel to build it up will go a long way.
I agree with Aaron. Maybe build up the ground a bit. They will learn to jump in just fine though. As far as lowering the hitch, I prefer my trailer to ride level. :mrgreen:

I dug out a slight trench for the wheels to go in. It formed a stop on the rear tires so I did not back up to far, was a guide side to side that I could see in the mirror and lowered the trailer at the loading chute. It lasted 3 years or so before I had to dig it out again.

Gunner":130v93z7 said:
I dug out a slight trench for the wheels to go in. It formed a stop on the rear tires so I did not back up to far, was a guide side to side that I could see in the mirror and lowered the trailer at the loading chute. It lasted 3 years or so before I had to dig it out again.
Great idea! :nod:

Thanks for the help
It is a bumper pull type.
I have a spot for it in the summer but it fills with ice and snow in winter when we sell some of the fall calves. The calves are the hard ones to get in the trailer then.
Thanks Jeff

How higgh is the step into the trailer. Ours is low but they used to jump into it too. Scattered some old hay on the floor at the back of the trailer and they would walk right in. It was explained to me once but I don;t recall the reasoning behind it now.

JeffK-MN":9z2voesw said:
Does anyone use a step to load cattle in trailer?
We sold our calves and they went right to the trailer but would not jump in we had to lift each one.
Then we loaded a 1100 pound bull and he had to jump in also.
So I want to make a step so they can walk in. Thanks Jeff

If I know the place I'm loading is high like that. I just throw a couple straw bales in the stock trailer and away I go. Just butt them up to the trailer and they go right in. I think what they hate the most is that daylight under there. B&G

For calves, I usually have to hotshot the first one in and the rest just follow.
When I went to pick up some heifer calves last summer, the guy had some crossties laid down for steps at the end of his chute and 2 of the calves got their legs hung up between the ties and the bottom of the trailer and between the end of the chute panel and the tie. Lucky we didn't break one.

branguscowgirl":2hd3yl90 said:
Aaron":2hd3yl90 said:
If your loading at the same spots, a little gravel to build it up will go a long way.
I agree with Aaron. Maybe build up the ground a bit. They will learn to jump in just fine though. As far as lowering the hitch, I prefer my trailer to ride level. :mrgreen:
Agreed on the level trailer ... when needed we have just jacked up the trailer to lower the back end to cut the height in half for them to load easier and then just let the trailer back down on your GN or BH and off ya go without changing your hitch height

For hogs and calves, a good tight square bale of straw. For some reason they love to jump it or step on it and it doesn't spook them like a step or ramp.

When we build a cattle chute the last 5 or 6 foot we just get a few front end loader buckets of clay or dirt and build it up about a foot or so. Seems to help make the calves load better??

Yep, Small mound of dirt, would seem to do the trick.

A few local 4-h kids have made ramps for loading hogs into their stock trailers. I've used the straw bale method for pigs, but after seeing how easy those 4H kids loaded their pigs with a simple ramp, I plan to make one for our trailer this summer before hauling the kid's hogs to the Fair and Locker. (it was basically some angle iron, 2x4's and plywood)

skyhightree1":109ej553 said:
M5farm":109ej553 said:
Stick hot shot to their rear and they will get in.

:nod: even the most stubborn are persuaded using that technique.

Yep thats my portable step also , my cows are hot shot trained most I never have to even touch them with it after a couple times they hear the buzz and know they best be going where I want them to go . It is a very good tool when used the right way but also a very bad one when it is used in the wrong way or to much.

We used a discarded old rail tie to dam up dirt to our loading chute area so the ground would be more level with the rear of our trailer. We se the tie and back filled with our tractor n loader. Its a;most level now and they walk right on in without any hesitation.

Thanks for the info
I'm building a new shipping pen I'm puting a rail tie and sloping the ground and puting a heavy gate sweep to push them in the trailer Jeff

Latest posts