Pop Quiz - just for kicks

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Ok, here's the scenerio - you are the proud owner of a respectable herd - bigger than most, but big enough to justify hired hands. These are commercial cattle and they are not halter broke and there is no barn. You've been in the cattle business for some time, but know there is a whole lot more out there. (I'm making this up as I go.)

You notice that the last several calves born have been very weak. You'd go catch them, but gosh dern it, it is hot outside. By the time it is cool enough to do anything, it it dark thirty. But, just as the daylight fades, you notice one calf is lathargic and stands head low, panting like a dog. This calf is about a week old. You know that because your daddy was an engineer and you have his habit of keeping meticulous records.

What should you do?

A. Get on Cattle Today and post in the beginner's board. Hopefully someone won't respond telling you that you are a city slicker and guilt you into not treating the calf. Lord knows that someone else on the other side of the continent had the exact same problem 2 weeks ago and their calf bacame the fastest growing thing on 4 legs when they took the advice here.

B. Catch the calf, take a temp. Call your small animal vet, b/c you don't have a clue who in the area is a large animal vet. Get on Cattle Today and post in the beginner's board. Hopefully, someone won't respond telling you that you are a city slicker and guilt you into not treating the calf. And hopefully everyone else won't tell you that you picked the wrong time to find a large animal vet.

C. Call your large animal vet's answering service and while waiting for him to call you back, catch the calf, take a temp. Move the calf and momma to a small pen for observation. After talking to the vet, get on Cattle Today and post in the beginner's board what happened and what the vet said. Hopefully, someone won't respond telling you that you are a city slicker and talk you into selling calves before they cause problems. And hopefully, everyone else won't tell you that you picked the wrong large animal vet.

D. Call your large animal vet's answering service and while waiting for him to call you back, catch the calf, take a temp. Move the calf and momma to a small pen for observation. After talking to the vet, follow his instructions to the letter. Get on Cattle Today and look to see if anyone else in the state has had that same problem, but don't post, b/c someone will respond telling you that you are a city slicker, you should get out of the cattle business, and there is no such thing as a cattle expert.

E. Call your large animal vet's answering service and while waiting for him to call you back, catch the calf, take a temp. Move the calf and momma to a small pen for observation. After talking to the vet, follow his instructions to the letter. That's it. There's nothing else to do. You don't post on Cattle Today. In fact, you are too tired to even turn on the computer.
:D

How about "none of the above" ???

If the calf is sick, it is hot for him too. Just take care of it. Don't call anyone.

If the calf is down and can't get up, then haul him to the vet, spend $250 and you'll probably lose him anyway. (been there too)

F. Catch and temp. If temp is high give penicillin IM & Banamine, keep calf and cow corraled and watch them a few days. Probably have to give several days of penicillin. If no significant improvement in 1 day probably use Nuflor. After shots on first day I'd probably log on cattletoday and see what breed HCF is now raising. (Is there a 'slap me' emoticon?)

E...and while waiting for the vet to call back, give the calf electrolytes and mist him down with water. After you've followed the vet's advice to the letter, slap yourself for not attending to the calf earlier, swear to never let that happen again, ask God's forgiveness, and declare it Miller time. Might ask the calf if he'd like a little drink...

Alice

I'm going with C and for those that "talk down" to me could kiss my white @!#. Isn't that part of why this board exists? To ask questions of others that may have had the same experience. I know there some here that would call you a city slicker or a hobby farmer but they are just someone on the other end of a computer. They don't mean that much to me anyways. Those that give good advice because they have been there I'll at least listen to their suggestions. Maybe not follow every response I get to a question but at least listen to them and try to learn something.

I had problems with my powerstroke a while back. I posted it here and nobody knew the answer but I think it was flaboy that directed me to another message board about nothing but powerstrokes. I explained the situation, nobody there called me a wanna bee or told me to go to sell the truck and buy a honda, they all simply gave their opinions and you know what, about 90% of the responses were to check the same problem and low and behold I fixed it off of their advice. They knew what it could have been because they had been there. It wasn't that simple either it turned out to be a burnt wire under the valve cover. So see these boards work when others "TRY" to at least help you out.

OKAY............. I'll get off my soap box now...sorry :oops:

J":2aec3i6t said:
I'm going with C and for those that "talk down" to me could kiss my white @!#. Isn't that part of why this board exists? To ask questions of others that may have had the same experience. I know there some here that would call you a city slicker or a hobby farmer but they are just someone on the other end of a computer. They don't mean that much to me anyways. Those that give good advice because they have been there I'll at least listen to their suggestions. Maybe not follow every response I get to a question but at least listen to them and try to learn something.

I had problems with my powerstroke a while back. I posted it here and nobody knew the answer but I think it was flaboy that directed me to another message board about nothing but powerstrokes. I explained the situation, nobody there called me a wanna bee or told me to go to sell the truck and buy a honda, they all simply gave their opinions and you know what, about 90% of the responses were to check the same problem and low and behold I fixed it off of their advice. They knew what it could have been because they had been there. It wasn't that simple either it turned out to be a burnt wire under the valve cover. So see these boards work when others "TRY" to at least help you out.

OKAY............. I'll get off my soap box now...sorry :oops:

Another good answer!

Alice

You know, you have a very valid point. I expect almost everyone on this board is stressed to the max with the drought, severe heat and everyday worry trying to deal with it. I know we have been a little testy and impatient around here. We are all getting on each other's nerves because the nerves are right out there exposed.

Si

Do what most of us do...PM the folks whom we know will help us without prejudice and / or feel the need to belittle newbies. There are plenty of fine folks in here and if you stay around for awhile, you will find out who they are.

One thing I forgot to say about this quiz...it's really quite telling, isn't it? Dustybritches, you put a lot of thought into it...I for one, enjoyed reading it immensely. Thank you. :D

Alice

If an animal is sick, I don't care if I am called a "City Slicker" or "Hobby Farmer" or whatever. Why would that matter?

If it is too hot? Shucks, we're talking about a sick calf. We're not talking about running through brush fires with wet towels over your face to get to the fences to cut the cows free.

Save the calf if you can. No matter how hot it is, no matter how cold it is. Shoot him with LA200 or whatever it takes. What would the Dr. do if you were in the emergency room? I don't think he'd be worried about what someone in the forum is saying and neither would you if you were the patient who was sick. You'd just want to get well.

Don't go calling Doc Kavorkian either

E. But sometimes the instructions from the vet coincided with CB's. There were cows before the boards.
But if I'd found cattle today, without owning
cows, I'd buy cows just cause ya'll make them so much fun :nod:

I would simply watch calf from the comfort of my pick up truck, wearing my new cowboy hat, while working on my tax deductions.

I was called to look at a friends' cow while he was out of town.
10 yr old Maine-Anjou. She was calving, but fine for now.
About 10 pm she delivered a 100+ lb bull calf.
Next morning, another call. Calf is lethargic. It is about 95 F. Sunny. I dumped 5 gal bucket of water on the little guy. Put a little fly spray on him. Watched him nurse. He's fine.
I lose my fair share. I don't spend 1000 to save 600, but I spend plenty, it seems. Still, every additional calf after you cover expenses goes straight to the bottom line. So you gotta try pretty hard to save 'em.