Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Trivia Questions:
1. What is setting up a lamb called?
2. Do pigs get fleas?
3. What is a withdrawal period?
4. What is a boer goat?
5. What kind of gas does the green hose carry on a cutting torch?
6. What is the most expense cut of meat on any animal?
7. What breed of cattle was developed by the King's Ranch in Texas?
8. What is a composite breed?
9. What does ADG stand for?
10. What cause acidosis in cattle?

Answers:
1. Bracing
2. No, skin is too thick
3. Number of days it takes after a medication is given before the animal can be slaughtered for human consumption
4. A particular breed of goat
5. Oxygen
6. Tender loin-because it one of the least used muscles
7. Santa Gertrudis
8. Developed from more than one breed
9. Average daily gain
10. Rapid feed consumption

How did you do? 10 points each

Read #1 and figured "A waste of time" wasn;t the right answer so skipped the rest

dun":1aqilqu4 said:
ffamom":1aqilqu4 said:
Documentation for question #1
http://lambinators.homestead.com/brace.html

Dun,
What do you call it?

I call it a waste of time! Coyote bait doesn;t need to be set up

Dun! I'm surprised at you!

Time for you to go watch the calves play...I know it is for me...if I had anymore to watch... :(

Hopefully, before long, we'll have one to watch :heart: ...if it doesn't go south like the last one... :(

Think I'll get in the polaris and travel down the road to the "horse people's farm" and watch their new babies.

Alice

Alice":1rze4zu2 said:
dun":1rze4zu2 said:
ffamom":1rze4zu2 said:

Dun,
What do you call it?

Time for you to go watch the calves play...I know it is for me...if I had anymore to watch... :(

Hopefully, before long, we'll have one to watch :heart: ...if it doesn't go south like the last one... :(

Think I'll get in the polaris and travel down the road to the "horse people's farm" and watch their new babies.

Alice

Your surpised that I have no use for range maggots?

dun":1d86z6dw said:
Alice":1d86z6dw said:
dun":1d86z6dw said:
ffamom":1d86z6dw said:

Dun,
What do you call it?

Alice

Your surpised that I have no use for range maggots?

I guess I'm just surprised at the way you answered the question. Must be some history here that I'm not aware of...and that I don't need to be aware of... :shock:

Mea culpa, :oops:

Alice

Bullbuyer":2if7eids said:
#2 Is incorrect. Pigs will indeed get fleas. Don't know the variety we're talking about but I have seen pigs with fleas.

Fleas or mites??

farmwife":1i9eu956 said:
Bullbuyer":1i9eu956 said:
#2 Is incorrect. Pigs will indeed get fleas. Don't know the variety we're talking about but I have seen pigs with fleas.

Fleas or mites??

Wouldn't swear to it. Sorry - I just know that pigs will get something that certainly resembles fleas, could be mites though. I'm not that versed in pests as we don't see 'em very often, thanks to injectable wormer.

Thank you for all the responses. I sponsor a local 4-H group and the kids provide trivia questions for the meetings. I figure if I try them here, then I can weed out the bad answers they provide. I know so little about livestock other than cattle, I need all the help I can get.

On the pig question, from what I have researched, pigs will get flea when they are babies but once their skin gets tough...no fleas. They have a lot of problem with mange.

Alice,
To my knowlege they no history between Dun and me. He offers so much good information here, I have a great deal of respect for him.

Dun generally refers to sheep as range maggots. I don't think his history is with ffamom. I don't think he likes sheep in general.
There are parts of Montana where setting up a lamb is called a blind date...... but we wont go there.

cowboyup216":wsnpgyi6 said:
they find a million and one ways to die.

Interesting that you should mention it. I was yacking with the vet the other day and expressed pretty much the same sentiment, plus they don;t have any will to live (which suits me). He maintains that they're actually pretty tough, tougher then a goat. It's just that they're so far gone by the time they show a problem that it's too late. I like my theory better

Your surpised that I have no use for range maggots?[/quote]

Now that's funny!
If they die that easily, it's no wonder they are so high in the spring.

ffamom":w1b46iny said:
Thank you for all the responses. I sponsor a local 4-H group and the kids provide trivia questions for the meetings. I figure if I try them here, then I can weed out the bad answers they provide. I know so little about livestock other than cattle, I need all the help I can get.

On the pig question, from what I have researched, pigs will get flea when they are babies but once their skin gets tough...no fleas. They have a lot of problem with mange.

Alice,
To my knowlege they no history between Dun and me. He offers so much good information here, I have a great deal of respect for him.

I was referring to history between range maggots and dun...I mean coyote bait and sheep...

oh he11, I just got back from vacation...I need to go again. :p

Dun knows I think the world of him... :)

alice

Alice":1o8dic26 said:
ffamom":1o8dic26 said:

Alice,

I was referring to history between range maggots and dun...I mean coyote bait and sheep...

alice

Only because of the pictures

dun":2wesnxni said:
Alice":2wesnxni said:
ffamom":2wesnxni said:

Alice,

alice

Only because of the pictures

Tsk, tsk, tsk, dun...again, I'm surprised at you! :p ;-)

Alice